Who makes top 12?

just remember, in this era of drum corps, money talks, design drives the sheets.  

everything else is mostly superfluous.  

Edited by C.Holland

23 hours ago, Algernon said:

don't assume the returning 11 all finish in the top 12...

Colts recruiting efforts for 2023 are not good. 5 snares? Ouch

Troopers haven't strung together 2 successful seasons in a row in a long time

Crossmen and Blue Knights are both poised for a return. 

I’m not sure I’d agree Crossmen and Blue Knights are “poised” to return. I think “want” is the better word. I think BK would have more of a chance than Crossmen. 

I haven’t heard Colts only has five snares which is not good unless they have people in the wings who are in percussion ensembles. Lots of guard and percussion spots in corps are filled after WGI. 

1985-86 is the last time Troopers had back to back finals appearances and if it hadn’t been for a slightly weaker performance by 27th who had beat them earlier in the season, 86 would probably not have happened. Given the circumstances, it was incredible 27th did as well as they did (it was their final performance). Back to Troopers: Troopers seems to have momentum in and I’d be surprised if they did not make finals. The same was probably said after 2009 but the 2022 season felt different, at least to me.

Without SCV, I’m thinking Pacific Crest could have the advantage. In 2021 there were some Blue Devils and SCV members in the PC ranks. 

Edited by Tim K
  • Thanks 2

Madison makes it into finals is what my gut tells me.

I would love to see the A team back in finals, but I think the Academy needs a few more seasons under their belt before they move into top 12. 

Troopers' recruiting efforts this year seem to be strong, based on camp pics and videos. Whether the staff is able to pull a Boston early 2000s and deliver them a show they could jump into the middle of the pack with or not remains to be seen.

Percussion at Colts has always been a sore spot. Might be time for them to pony up some money for a name that will bring kids with them for next year if the numbers and talent aren't there this summer.

Blue Knights made some hiring moves, though lateral moves, maybe.

Bones is ....a big question mark, let's just say that.

Spirit's back in the game, and that's bound to shake up some things in the 12 to 17th range. I don't see that Madison made any significant changes that would alter their trajectory from last year, but who knows.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Algernon said:

That's disappointing after the progress their percussion made last season. They had a fine battery out there. Hello? Cadet corps? Can you spare a few? 

3 hours ago, Algernon said:

2 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

That's disappointing after the progress their percussion made last season. They had a fine battery out there. Hello? Cadet corps? Can you spare a few? 

Philosophical question: Is it better to go with 5 strong snare drummers & play a harder book, or bring in 4 more weaker players & water down the book?

I don't know but a friend recently told me Colts hornline is quite small at the moment as well. I loved their show last year!