Who makes top 12?

7 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

With this being said..... I'm done with posting on DCP. Unfortunately, this league doesn't align with my beliefs. Good luck

I truly hope you don't leave brother. I always enjoy reading your comments and you have taught me a lot about this activity. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

9 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

With this being said..... I'm done with posting on DCP. Unfortunately, this league doesn't align with my beliefs. Good luck

WWDWD? 

On 2/10/2023 at 10:52 AM, scheherazadesghost said:

Collaboration and empathy are also equally as rooted in human nature and they, potentially more than competition, are what built complex, lasting societies. Competition is simply not needed for excellence.

Is the healthy competition worth the downsides of toxic competition?

My view is that drum corps offers a tremendous opportunity to learn - not just mad skills in brass, percussion, spinning, dancing, etc., but also life lessons.  Prominent among those is competition - how to do well at it, how to be a proper human in the process, how to cope with it, and how to put it in its proper perspective.

To me, it seems that competition is an inescapable part of life.  So to me, there is no question.  It absolutely should be part of the drum corps experience, with the objectives of providing those life lessons along the way and establishing a healthy, non-toxic competitive environment. 

Competition is not the problem.  The problem is that too many of the people in drum corps have not learned those life lessons when given the opportunity.  More specifically, far too many of the adults who should be teaching those lessons to the kids have yet to learn them personally.

13 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

My view is that drum corps offers a tremendous opportunity to learn - not just mad skills in brass, percussion, spinning, dancing, etc., but also life lessons.  Prominent among those is competition - how to do well at it, how to be a proper human in the process, how to cope with it, and how to put it in its proper perspective.

To me, it seems that competition is an inescapable part of life.  So to me, there is no question.  It absolutely should be part of the drum corps experience, with the objectives of providing those life lessons along the way and establishing a healthy, non-toxic competitive environment. 

Competition is not the problem.  The problem is that too many of the people in drum corps have not learned those life lessons when given the opportunity.  More specifically, far too many of the adults who should be teaching those lessons to the kids have yet to learn them personally.

they've all learned those lessons.  The activity demands a different set of circumstances to exist right now. 

Which is incredibly hard to do.   When it was truly a service activity (and had very few competitors for students) everything was free or very low cost.  (rehearsal space, gyms, football fields..etc. )  And now... nothing is free. Or even close to free. And everyone is fighting for the same pools of grant money.  (theatre, dance, opera, art camps, drum corps... etc etc etc)   

I dont know the answer to the situation.  I do know that with the way the united states is, that all the lawyers, insurance agents, and all their suggested precautions to Cover One's Butt and prevent liability escalate the costs each year.   Not just space, but operations, safety, health, etc.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Im just done with what's his face

Blocking users is your friend.  It preserves my sanity;  some posters here are just plain toxic and are completely unaware of it  .  You just have to be disciplined enough not to click the link and override the block!  A true killfile that scrubs posts and quotes (actually erasing blocked users from your feed and not constantly offering their messages as links) would be a welcome improvement.  

IMHO DCP is going the way of RAMD -- just more slowly.  

Edited by karuna
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5