Who makes top 12?

On 2/10/2023 at 6:28 AM, scheherazadesghost said:

What a waste of an immensely precious learning experience for all. Lost to, ick, competition.

What do the corps get for competing (considering they are “non profits”)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RiverCityAndTroopersFan said:

World class get a small payout for each appearance.  Amount is based upon last seasons placement.  Open Class get a smaller payout in shows which are mixed World and Open.  

Open Class get paid $0 in appearance fees for Open class shows. 

Appearance fees barely fill a diesel tank let alone offset the actual costs of drum corps. 

22 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

World class get a small payout for each appearance.  Amount is based upon last seasons placement.  Open Class get a smaller payout in shows which are mixed World and Open.  

Open Class get paid $0 in appearance fees for Open class shows. 

Appearance fees barely fill a diesel tank let alone offset the actual costs of drum corps. 

Got it

1 hour ago, RiverCityAndTroopersFan said:

Non-profit doesn’t mean that they don’t (or can’t) turn a profit.  It is a tax category for organizations that put profits back into the organization vs paying out to investors.   They can (& some do) pay staff, sometimes in six-figures, for top individuals.  Others here know the better legalese; and I welcome correction if I have mis-stated something.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MikeN said:

No, you're spot on - being tax exempt means basically you can't pay out any profit as dividends or anything like that - it has to go back into the org.  

Mike

so if you have to take your entire staff to the bahamas to "train" them in your operational ways, just gotta equal zero at the end via putting that cash back into your org. 

48 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

so if you have to take your entire staff to the bahamas to "train" them in your operational ways, just gotta equal zero at the end via putting that cash back into your org. 

Perhaps I'm misreading your question, but I think it is OK to have money in the bank at end of season.  But if you want to take staff to Bahamas, or visit DCI's secret Swiss Alpine Chalet, or spend large amounts on transportation (as SCV apparently did), then you can.  But just because you can doesn't mean you should.  But what you can't do is pay $ back to investors/shareholders.

• Like 1

Tell me more about this Swiss Alpine chalet with chocolate filled bath tubs….

• Haha 1