Cadets Relocate to Erie, PA!

On 3/22/2023 at 4:44 PM, TheOneWhoKnows said:

https://cadets.org/cadets-announce-music-educator-liaison

Commitment to the Erie area being shown to be true! This is amazing for my Western PA community and music education here. I've known Carl for years and his passion and enthusiasm for music education is off the charts. 

no notes about what he'll actually do, or how they'll integrate to the community.  

lets be honest. there's been drum corps in erie for decades, and its always been a battle to keep it going.  this era of drum corps isn't local.  Its geared toward the kid who has a bankroll and isn't afraid to get on an airplane. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

no notes about what he'll actually do, or how they'll integrate to the community.  

lets be honest. there's been drum corps in erie for decades, and its always been a battle to keep it going.  this era of drum corps isn't local.  Its geared toward the kid who has a bankroll and isn't afraid to get on an airplane. 

They've already put together a clinic for the local marching band students. They've already scheduled multiple community performances and appearances. And this is just year one. I know the drum corps community here well. They are involved. They are attentive. They are working closely with The Cadets to make this beneficial for both the corps and the community. There are already plans to bring back the Erie Thunderbirds with Cadets partnership. We have a WGI guard here that will get assistance as well. Things are happening here in Erie. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

They've already put together a clinic for the local marching band students. They've already scheduled multiple community performances and appearances. And this is just year one. I know the drum corps community here well. They are involved. They are attentive. They are working closely with The Cadets to make this beneficial for both the corps and the community. There are already plans to bring back the Erie Thunderbirds with Cadets partnership. We have a WGI guard here that will get assistance as well. Things are happening here in Erie. 

I'm well aware of LER.  I used to teach in that org.  I am also aware of the struggle against the band directors that was part of teaching in this area.  At $50/student cost for a band kid to attend a clinic i'm skeptical of this.  Hopefully they can prove me wrong.  I'm skeptical of this org "partnering" with another org after watching YEA prohibit success of other groups for decades.   New board, new life... maybe it'll be different.  

19 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

.   New board, new life... maybe it'll be different.  

We will see. Notice one name on board that I recognize as management for various Erie corps groups. 
Competed against Thunderbirds late 70s and that corps took a hit from local economy (as did many others). No idea how well Erie has rebounded from its 70s/80s issues. Best man at my wedding is long time Erie resident but haven’t talked to him in years.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

24 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

I'm well aware of LER.  I used to teach in that org.  I am also aware of the struggle against the band directors that was part of teaching in this area.  At $50/student cost for a band kid to attend a clinic i'm skeptical of this.  Hopefully they can prove me wrong.  I'm skeptical of this org "partnering" with another org after watching YEA prohibit success of other groups for decades.   New board, new life... maybe it'll be different.  

A lot of those band directors are now retired. From what I've heard a lot of the band programs/booster programs are sponsoring students to attend the clinic. 

I think where things are different is you have both sides with a hunger to grow and support each other including their own interests. I foresee people stepping up to ensure it becomes successful. 

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

A lot of those band directors are now retired. From what I've heard a lot of the band programs/booster programs are sponsoring students to attend the clinic. 

I think where things are different is you have both sides with a hunger to grow and support each other including their own interests. I foresee people stepping up to ensure it becomes successful. 

Thanks!

Many of us are looking for optimism and encouragement over the doom and gloom naysayers, so your news is good!

Let's look for ways to make positive things happen instead of summarily dismissing trying ideas because of past incidents and situations.

Edited by jjeffeory

I don't understand some of the comments on this thread....things like "Cadets did this or that or promised this or that ten years ago..."

Did you guys not get the memo that the chief (sole) decision maker for this drum corps is long gone and has zero influence on the 2023 corps and organization?

Many of my Boston friends and I are hoping for the Cadets to not only survive, but to thrive.  We are scratching our heads at some of the attitudes and negativity on here.  

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I can say that BAC would NOT be in the position it is currently in, both on and off the field, if our alumni cohort acted like this when we found ourselves in 12th place just 6 years ago.

• Like 6

On 5/8/2023 at 10:51 AM, craiga said:

I don't understand some of the comments on this thread....things like "Cadets did this or that or promised this or that ten years ago..."

Did you guys not get the memo that the chief (sole) decision maker for this drum corps is long gone and has zero influence on the 2023 corps and organization?

Many of my Boston friends and I are hoping for the Cadets to not only survive, but to thrive.  We are scratching our heads at some of the attitudes and negativity on here.  

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I can say that BAC would NOT be in the position it is currently in, both on and off the field, if our alumni cohort acted like this when we found ourselves in 12th place just 6 years ago.

Better to let it play out than to be so reactionary is my view, in the rough times, and especially when the good is reappearing from the rough patches that are being left in the past. Couldn’t be more happier for both Cadets and BAC being where they’re at and where they’re seeking to be. They’re not done, they’re both increasingly more stable and that’s all you can ask for.

Edited by Vidal28Rdg

On 5/8/2023 at 11:51 AM, craiga said:

It's clear that many people didn't get that memo. Cadets have to continually prove themselves to people who seemingly disregard THAT fact.