Cadets Relocate to Erie, PA!

1 hour ago, ykw said:

From the article, emphasis added

"The band is still expected to return to J. Birney Crum Stadium in Allentown for the annual DCI Eastern Classic in August, the CAE said."

Seems like all the more reason to leave Allentown 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is this a good or bad thing? I can't tell

I had a bunch of thoughts but overall feel it's a good move. It feels weird to see them so far away from New Jersey. At the same time I was hoping they would get out of Allentown after the off-the-field issues in recent years. I like Allentown, PA but I feel Cadets had to move on. Of course, in this post Covid era with the uncertainty of trying to keep drum & bugle corps alive it is nice to hear of some hope. This is no guarantee for success but it feels like the right move.

In terms of location:

• Erie is only 1.5 hours or less from 3 major airports in Buffalo (NY), Cleveland (OH), and Pittsburgh (PA).
  • Erie sits on the Southeast shores of Lake Erie in a beautiful setting.
  • Having the sports complex to use year-round is a big bonus.
  • This area also happens to be big wine country (not that this matters for drum corps fans -- or maybe it does). Lots of wineries along the southern shores of Lake Erie.
  • Perhaps now the Erie Fanfare DCI show will become a bigger show, and the stadium is really nice (Veterans Memorial Stadium). It is not super large but the sound is fantastic.
  • From a recruiting stand point (at least from a regional perspective) there are many colleges within a 3 to 4 hour drive from Erie. Many of them are in large population centers in Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Akron, and Youngstown. Penn State is maybe 3+ hours from Erie. Other Big Ten schools like Ohio State and Michigan are roughly 5 hours from Erie. 
  • There are many great H.S. band programs in this region as well. Upstate New York, Western PA, and Northeast Ohio have many solid to exceptional programs. I realize most drum corps recruit nationally and especially in places like Texas, Indiana, Florida, etc. But it doesn't hurt to have many fine H.S. programs and incredible collegiate music schools in the region. 
  • Cost of living in Erie is pretty good and hopefully will help Cadets manage and facilitate everything needed to be successful. 

Just some general thoughts on the move and location. Best wishes to the corps as they move forward. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

This is a VERY good thing for the organization on so many levels not the least of which is having offices, fleet parking/storage, rehearsal facilities and spring raining facilities (including 2 domed fields) all in one place. The fact that the Erie community has been so enthusiastic in support is another indication of this being the right place. Allentown never full embraced the corp nor did they deliver on many of the promises that Erie has actually put in writing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

It's a great thing. The facility they are getting access to provides them with almost everything they need for one fee. Plus, there is an old drum corps community with a ton of big names in the activity that want to help out a corps like the Cadets. I see volunteers already. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

I had a bunch of thoughts but overall feel it's a good move. It feels weird to see them so far away from New Jersey. At the same time I was hoping they would get out of Allentown after the off-the-field issues in recent years. I like Allentown, PA but I feel Cadets had to move on. Of course, in this post Covid era with the uncertainty of trying to keep drum & bugle corps alive it is nice to hear of some hope. This is no guarantee for success but it feels like the right move.

In terms of location:

• Erie is only 1.5 hours or less from 3 major airports in Buffalo (NY), Cleveland (OH), and Pittsburgh (PA).
  • Erie sits on the Southeast shores of Lake Erie in a beautiful setting.
  • Having the sports complex to use year-round is a big bonus.
  • This area also happens to be big wine country (not that this matters for drum corps fans -- or maybe it does). Lots of wineries along the southern shores of Lake Erie.
  • Perhaps now the Erie Fanfare DCI show will become a bigger show, and the stadium is really nice (Veterans Memorial Stadium). It is not super large but the sound is fantastic.
  • From a recruiting stand point (at least from a regional perspective) there are many colleges within a 3 to 4 hour drive from Erie. Many of them are in large population centers in Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Akron, and Youngstown. Penn State is maybe 3+ hours from Erie. Other Big Ten schools like Ohio State and Michigan are roughly 5 hours from Erie. 
  • There are many great H.S. band programs in this region as well. Upstate New York, Western PA, and Northeast Ohio have many solid to exceptional programs. I realize most drum corps recruit nationally and especially in places like Texas, Indiana, Florida, etc. But it doesn't hurt to have many fine H.S. programs and incredible collegiate music schools in the region. 
  • Cost of living in Erie is pretty good and hopefully will help Cadets manage and facilitate everything needed to be successful. 

Just some general thoughts on the move and location. Best wishes to the corps as they move forward. 

Just some responses as I am an Erie resident and have grown up in the area. We are geographically very convenient. The Lake Erie Fanfare is actually no longer held at Veteran's Stadium. While I love that stadium and I personally love judging in the press box of that stadium for our local marching band circuit, parking, warm up areas, and everything else are VERY limited around the stadium. The Lake Erie Fanfare is actually held at the stadium on Edinboro University's campus now which provides so much more room for spectators and corps. We do have some wonderful high school programs in the area, however, music education has taken a decline here in recent years. This could be something really good to help bring that back. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Just some responses as I am an Erie resident and have grown up in the area. We are geographically very convenient. The Lake Erie Fanfare is actually no longer held at Veteran's Stadium. While I love that stadium and I personally love judging in the press box of that stadium for our local marching band circuit, parking, warm up areas, and everything else are VERY limited around the stadium. The Lake Erie Fanfare is actually held at the stadium on Edinboro University's campus now which provides so much more room for spectators and corps. We do have some wonderful high school programs in the area, however, music education has taken a decline here in recent years. This could be something really good to help bring that back. 

I really hope you're right.