Cadets Relocate to Erie, PA!

1 hour ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Just some responses as I am an Erie resident and have grown up in the area. We are geographically very convenient. The Lake Erie Fanfare is actually no longer held at Veteran's Stadium. While I love that stadium and I personally love judging in the press box of that stadium for our local marching band circuit, parking, warm up areas, and everything else are VERY limited around the stadium. The Lake Erie Fanfare is actually held at the stadium on Edinboro University's campus now which provides so much more room for spectators and corps. We do have some wonderful high school programs in the area, however, music education has taken a decline here in recent years. This could be something really good to help bring that back. 

Better parking too at Edinboro.

Might try to go up this or next year. Will have to grit my teeth going into “Frozen Scots” territory. (I went to one of of Edinboros rivals so don’t use the real name of “Fighting Scots. 😈)

From what I read they had a good start of getting volunteers last year.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Better parking too at Edinboro.

Might try to go up this or next year. Will have to grit my teeth going into “Frozen Scots” territory. (I went to one of of Edinboros rivals so don’t use the real name of “Fighting Scots. 😈)

From what I read they had a good start of getting volunteers last year.

What are you a Slimy Pebble? 😆 Don't be hatting on my Fighting Scots too much. Especially their marching band. It's made a comeback the last few years. Especially with yours truly as one of the assistant directors. 

Edited by TheOneWhoKnows
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

What are you a Slimy Pebble? 😆 Don't be hatting on my Fighting Scots too much. Especially their marching band. It's made a comeback the last few years. Especially with yours truly as one of the assistant directors. 

Slimy Pebble State 😆😆😆😆. Late 70s had a mascot that looked like a wad of putty with a rock for a head. It came over during a basketball game and we started chanting “stone the rock”… it left. 😆

Went to Indiana… still getting used to Crimson Hawk name. Especially since there is no such animal as a crimson hawk. 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Slimy Pebble State 😆😆😆😆. . 🤦‍♂️

For you non PAers, reference is to Slippery Rock University (formerly Slippery Rock State College). Yes there is a town and college named Slippery Rock. 🤯

Even got a mention in ye olde Steve Canyon comic strip. Steve was asked who is college football champ and thought “If I say Slippery Rock…” forget why…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

For you non PAers, reference is to Slippery Rock University (formerly Slippery Rock State College). Yes there is a town and college named Slippery Rock. 🤯

Even got a mention in ye olde Steve Canyon comic strip. Steve was asked who is college football champ and thought “If I say Slippery Rock…” forget why…

My brother went there for two years... then decided it was too small a place to go to college.  

slimy pebble, greased brick, mucky boulder...

One our daughters graduated from the "Rock" in 1992. The cheerleader, I cringed, every time they threw her 6 feet in the air. Got her BS in psychology there then her Masters at Pitt. She loved both schools.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, melligene said:

One our daughters graduated from the "Rock" in 1992. The cheerleader, I cringed, every time they threw her 6 feet in the air. Got her BS in psychology there then her Masters at Pitt. She loved both schools.

Ok we went off topic but Bro in law went to “da Rock” twice. Legend has he flunked once, dropped out another time. Then got his act together and went somewhere else and actually graduated. 

Well if Gene will be at the Erie show, I’ll have to try harder to go.

edit and more on topic: just remembered there was a DCA show at Edinboro Sunday afternoon 1978 when downtown stadium was being worked on. Corps who were at DCA show in Canton OH night before were there.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Well... Well... Well... How things have changed. 

Back in the day, there was nothing right about the Cadets moving so far from Garfield and New Jersey. Now, there's nothing wrong with the Cadets moving so far from Garfield and New Jersey.

It's all fine by me. I'm just reflecting on how fickle (and sometimes feckless) drum corps fans can be. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

Well... Well... Well... How things have changed. 

Back in the day, there was nothing right about the Cadets moving so far from Garfield and New Jersey. Now, there's nothing wrong with the Cadets moving so far from Garfield and New Jersey.

It's all fine by me. I'm just reflecting on how fickle (and sometimes feckless) drum corps fans can be. 

I agree with you. To be honest it does feel WEIRD to see the Cadets that far from NJ. But at this point I think we are all looking for any positives when it comes to keeping drum corps alive. 

• Like 1