Cadets Relocate to Erie, PA!

According to wiki this will be the 20th anniversary of Cadets moving to Allentown. Why is the reaction to something that happened 20 years ago that bleeping important? And more to the point how does it help the corps now. If moving to Erie or Timbuktu helps the corps then more power to them. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
Than/then 🤦‍♂️
  • Like 2

I think you would agree corps history is important. As for this bit of history, it tells us, among other things, something about the corps' relationship with its fans - and possibly something about ourselves. 

The Cadets emerged from the 90s as one of the most successful corps ever as well as a challenge to drum corps orthodoxy. At the time, the move to Allentown was reviled on what passed for social media then. And this was long before amplification, vocals G7, hashgate or all the other convenient excuses for blame.

I have no reason to doubt the wisdom of Erie. I just know that too many drum corps fans - some posting still on this board - weren't fair to the Cadets when they moved to Allentown. If Cadets are getting a fair shake finally, I have no quibble with that. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

I think you would agree corps history is important. As for this bit of history, it tells us, among other things, something about the corps' relationship with its fans - and possibly something about ourselves. 

The Cadets emerged from the 90s as one of the most successful corps ever as well as a challenge to drum corps orthodoxy. At the time, the move to Allentown was reviled on what passed for social media then. And this was long before amplification, vocals G7, hashgate or all the other convenient excuses for blame.

I have no reason to doubt the wisdom of Erie. I just know that too many drum corps fans - some posting still on this board - weren't fair to the Cadets when they moved to Allentown. If Cadets are getting a fair shake finally, I have no quibble with that. 

The biggest transformative years that changed up in a most dramatic way in regards to " orthodoxy " for the Cadets were likely 1958 and 1969.

for 19 years since their beginning in 1934, they were the Holy Name Cadets from Garfield, N.J.  In 1958, the Holy Name Parish disbanded the Corps, but the Corps stayed afloat in 1958, but no longer afiliated with the parish ( Ironically, in a somewhat similar  vein and time frame ( 1950's ), the Most Precious Blood Parish of Boston ( Hyde Park ) cut ties with their Corps, and the Corps kept going as the Boston Crusaders. In 1969, the All Male Corps of the Cadets from 1934-1969 ( 35 years ) gave way to becoming a Co-Ed Drum Corps. Neither of these moves were met with universal applause or derision at the time. It was a mixed bag of responses at the time but HUGE changes in the organization of the Corps nevertheless.. Yet neither was an operational location change at the time.

The Crossmen were a state of Pennsylvania operations based Corps from 1974 to 2006 ( over 30 years ), but moved thousands of miles away to San Antonio Texas after the 2006 season.   There were both ansgst and applause with that ( getting out from YEA, seemed to please quite a few if I recall at the time ). But the Crossmen, so far, has made that location for their operations change work rather well the last 15 or so years their operations Hq. have been based there. 

Most folks on Social Media have accepted the reality that it probably makes good sense both financially and brand wise for the Cadets to move on from their base of operations in Allentown. Even Allentown likely thinks its time for their community to move on as well,  as the last decade has not been a kind one to the Cadets given the bad publicity that the former Director there brought to both the Cadets as well to the Community of Allentown. So I understand this move by the Cadets from a host of reasonable reasons, Plus its hard not to find some favor from a community ( Erie, Pa. ) that from all reports is very happy that the Cadets have taken up their offer to move their operational HQ, and training there. I am pleased to learn the Cadets vibes coming out of the Corps these  days seem far better than they were not that very long ago. Good for them !. looking forward to seeing what they have in store for us this summer regarding their show.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I didn’t see this at all in the post you responded to. 
So people appear to be less upset about the Erie move than they were about the Allentown move. BFD….

The move to Allentown was done because burned bridges left and right in NJ and Allentown was sold on a lot of local participation 

8 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Again. You are comparing different situations under different directors, and very different economical eras. You keep saying it's DCP, but I think it's more that you're not recognizing the key differences in each situation. 

10000% accurate 

4 hours ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

Back then a lot of the behind the scenes of why the move weren’t as known and the the director was the most despised person in the game. 

• 1 month later...

https://cadets.org/cadets-announce-music-educator-liaison

Commitment to the Erie area being shown to be true! This is amazing for my Western PA community and music education here. I've known Carl for years and his passion and enthusiasm for music education is off the charts. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2023 at 3:44 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

But still have problems thinking the NY Skyliners are based around Wilkes Barre PA. 🤔🤯

All our rehearsals and camps are in the Binghamton, NY area for the 2023 season. Not NYC but back in the state at least!

• Thanks 2