Just an idea, SCV

6 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

and spend the other time in the lot ( which i never understood) 

I think the lot thing as opposed to sitting in the stands to watch and support the smaller corps is more about being seen, than seeing.  Lot's of preening and look at my corps jacket.  

I would do it too, honestly, but my corps jacket doesn't.......fit. 

Edited by greg_orangecounty
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I think the lot thing as opposed to sitting in the stands to watch and support the smaller corps is more about being seen, than seeing.  Lot's of preening and look at my corps jacket.  

oh you are so right...on both accounts 😁

• Haha 1

Or perhaps some of us wouldn't have the courage to approach other alum or vibe out with the corps as they warmup without our jackets on.

I've readily admitted the egoism within my own home corps and the activity broadly in another thread. I was really hoping that had changed by now...

Jacket or no, we all know what it feels like to capture lightning a bottle and bring a crowd to its feet OR we've been in the audience for such a moment. That's much more important.

Edit to add: @MikeD  @CalmDown, I've reported you again. Please stop following me. I'm just not that into you and it's clear you're trolling which against DCP guidelines.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
removed snark, apologies
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I would do it too, honestly, but my corps jacket doesn't.......fit

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

thats great unfortunately not everyone is like you. More of what I said and saw 1st hand....................I thought that was you with your hot dog and popcorn....lol

oh i know. i always used to attend D2/3 stuff before the name change. i still say D 2/3 finals in 02 was one of the bext top to bottom shows i have ever seen in person. I actually enjoyed more of those corps than D1 finals.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

That's because there's a new guy in charge of tickets, admission, & gates.  (I call him "Skippy")  He's still trying to get everyone through the Verizon East Gate at Lucas Oil... :whistle: 

if he's coming to Dover PA...boy is he in for a treat

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

i will watch lot vids, but honestly...and i have said this before...the lot is SO over rated. so many teams play all these "super cool exercises", but then get on the field and #### out the attack on tap rolls. one of my most proud moments as a teacher was being told my group was boring in the Lot. Why? we played warmups that had relevance to the show. Oh and the night it was said to me...we won.

• Like 3

This topic has kinda moved on, but this has been stewing in my brain for months.

To my count, there's been at least 12 junior corps hailing from Texas. Two of those didn't originate from Texas, Sky Ryders and Crossmen, and at least one other was formed out of the ashes of a non-Texan corps (Forte was built out of Memphis Sound). With all the orgs that relocated, there was an assumption that being closer to the bulk of their membership could only help.

Of those 12 Texas corps, we only have 3 still active (and I would unfortunately not be surprised if at least one of those doesn't make it to 2025). Of the relocation corps, only Crossmen remains.

I bring these numbers up because they're the first thing I think of when folks bring a move to Texas up. Texas is the second largest state in the country, the largest central state in the country, and has incredibly well-established public high school and university music programs. Likewise, there are DCI shows galore throughout the state each year. Yet, there's only been 12 total junior corps and only has 3 left; the third largest state (CA) has had 76 junior corps(!) and there are 11 currently listed on DCI's website.

And what of that 3 remaining? Crossmen is the oldest in residence, moving in 2006. They are nothing to shrug at, but the org has yet to translate all the local talent and staff opportunities into a top 7 placement since the move. Genesis had a couple third place finishes in open class before moving to world class, but they've yet to not get out placed by open class corps since moving to world. And then there's Guardians, the current open class option for Texans, who are seemingly having difficulties getting housing sites for each monthly camp this year.

What's my point? I don't think moving a drum corps to Texas is the winning solution it's so often thought to be. There's something going on here that's making drum corps harder to start and sustain than other locations. What that is? No idea. Some Music History or American Studies researcher should look into that. But I think VMAPA needs to think long and hard about Sky Ryders, Memphis Sound/Forte, and Revolution before thinking things will be much easier if they just moved states.

• Like 1