Just an idea, SCV

53 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Genesis (Austin) & Guardians (Houston). 

<raises hand>

I think Compass is still the only Texas SoundSport?  There may be another one now as well.  

I don't know what an established corps would gain by moving here.  The big groups are already entrenched with donors and fundraising in their areas, and at the end of a day it's just your office address.

For Guardians, aside from all being Texans, one giant trade off for us being based here was we had a lot of flexibility and connections to find alternate rehearsal spaces.  Funny enough, if you're not named Academy or Vanguard or Cavaliers, band directors aren't so interested in booking or honoring reserved space.  😠

(Not that I'm bitter or anything.)

Mike

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, MikeN said:

<raises hand>

Funny enough, if you're not named Academy or Vanguard or Cavaliers, band directors aren't so interested in booking or honoring reserved space.  😠

Mike

Sorry to hear that. Guardians were a quality program this past summer, and I look forward to its continued success!

22 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Sorry to hear that. Guardians were a quality program this past summer, and I look forward to its continued success!

I really enjoyed the Guardians in Marion this past August. Would not shock me one bit if they medal in OC this year. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 10:23 AM, C.Holland said:

where do most of the paying customers for drum corps live?   (no... not those in the stands.  Those who pay to do this.)  That's right.  Big BOA programs.  Texas, Florida, Indiana...etc.  Yes there's a few from PA, NJ, KY, CA, MN/WI, OH...   but there's a reason BAC started having florida camps in 98/99.  And Cavies in GA. and others in Texas.  Bring the business to the customer.   Most of the corps now have a Home office, but do everything else in other cities or states.  

Minnesota is interesting. I don’t know about other states but here in MN there are 2 schools who dominate each class. Rosemount AAAA, Grand Rapids/Irondale for AAA, Lakeville South AA and Hastings for A. We have some quality band programs which may explain why we a good amount. Just my 0.02

On 2/15/2023 at 2:35 PM, Orwellian Wiress said:

I'm absolutely down for a drum corps theme hotel

And here on the Blue Devils level we have a ring from every year we made finals.

• Like 1

The last time I remember a corp relocating to a different region from the east coast to the southwest is the Crossmen. Maybe I'm wrong and others on here will point out otherwise, so it's a nice topic to banter about in off season of drumcorp but SCV is not going to relocate or other corps to TX. So don't point out the Cadets went from Garfield to Allentown to Erie as a big move. It is for them, but they are in the same region. 

On 2/16/2023 at 10:38 AM, IllianaLancerContra said:

Probably - these groups sometimes form & dissipate without much fanfare.  Like Brigadoon 

As long as they use Ken Norman's MacConnachy Square charts, I'm okay with that.

• Haha 1

On 2/16/2023 at 1:31 PM, MikeN said:

<raises hand>

I think Compass is still the only Texas SoundSport?  There may be another one now as well.  

I don't know what an established corps would gain by moving here.  The big groups are already entrenched with donors and fundraising in their areas, and at the end of a day it's just your office address.

For Guardians, aside from all being Texans, one giant trade off for us being based here was we had a lot of flexibility and connections to find alternate rehearsal spaces.  Funny enough, if you're not named Academy or Vanguard or Cavaliers, band directors aren't so interested in booking or honoring reserved space.  😠

Mike

Compass has folded. I marched with someone who marched compass their last year of existence: apparently their head director was embezzling funds. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3