Controversial shows

Were any DCI shows ever considered controversial due to subject matter? Judge opinion versus fan reception?

I just thought of this because I was writing a post on another site about Wicked Games, praising how courageous the show designers are to put that subject on full display, no holds barred, not caring about how uncomfortable it is for you. I'm surprised I haven't seen that show bashed and trashed on that much. Considering most of the DCI fandom tends (well to me at least) to skew towards older generations, I would have expected Wicked Games to start a complete 1980s-style moral panic. 

93 Star....fans vs. judges. far more loved today than then.

BD any show 08-13 judges vs. fans. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

As a member of the "older generation", I see nothing controversial about Boston's Wicked Games show.  I do agree with musicteacher above that BAC's G7 "Animal Farm" show was in fact quite controversial, but had alot of support by audiences.

• Like 1

Ah Bridgemen.  That show is non stop fun

• Like 1

And I'm not sure what's supposed to be controversial about Wicked Games; the "OMG witches" part or "wow, they went there with hangings and burnings on the field."

Neither of those were particularly new things.  We've has a fair few dark themes, deals with the devil, etc. in the past and the number of  murders on the field in DCI history is not small.

• Like 3

Wasn't there something controversial about 91 Phantom and their Guard? I remember a poster on this forum several years ago saying they wouldn't allow their child to watch that show lol. 

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

Wasn't there something controversial about 91 Phantom and their Guard? I remember a poster on this forum several years ago saying they wouldn't allow their child to watch that show lol. 

There were a few sexual type images beginning just before the ending and during the ending.   Start at about 8:30.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIfO8srzNUc

Edited by TOC
  • Like 1