Controversial shows

On 3/8/2023 at 2:09 PM, Jeff Ream said:

The thing with animal farm was most of the paying audience had no clue 

That said, I loved little things like the flag that had the DCI logo and a hammer and sickle on it, or the performer waving baby powder atop the podium at the end of the show (referencing the penalty they took the previous year).

• Like 1

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Cavaliers from 2001-2003 for.... just daring to do their thing. There was a segment within the DCI fanbase that thought their visually oriented programs with original music was going to be the death of the activity. I recall standing in retreat next to them as a fan of another organization heckled the performers with loads of profanity and homophobic slurs.

1 hour ago, contraguard05 said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Cavaliers from 2001-2003 for.... just daring to do their thing. There was a segment within the DCI fanbase that thought their visually oriented programs with original music was going to be the death of the activity. I recall standing in retreat next to them as a fan of another organization heckled the performers with loads of profanity and homophobic slurs.

I can't imagine how pathetic someone's life must be to resort to heckling a bunch of high school/college kids.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, contraguard05 said:

That said, I loved little things like the flag that had the DCI logo and a hammer and sickle on it, or the performer waving baby powder atop the podium at the end of the show (referencing the penalty they took the previous year).

That show would have benefited in my estimation from not having Fan Network that year so I saw it regularly. Start of the year it was "oh wow, they're going there." By the end of the year it was a bit "yes, yes, we got the point, and now you just sound like you're whining." Like, the baby powder was against the rules.

On 3/12/2023 at 12:37 PM, contraguard05 said:

That went on for a bit. 

I remember reading so hateful things on DCP in 2008 (I didn't have a profile yet, but I was aware of this site). When I wasn't staying after school for full orchestra rehearsals, honor band rehearsals, sectionals, or solo and ensemble work... I was basically during my DCI research. 

There was some really nasty comments about The Cavaliers and I couldn't understand why someone who just hate this corps. It could be because the corps history with championships, but people will hate just to hate. 

Regardless, I'm a fan no matter what people say. Cavies or bust!

• Like 3

On 3/10/2023 at 3:48 PM, Tim K said:

The year I remember Phantom’s guard causing controversy is 2017’s “Phantasm.” That show made me very uncomfortable and if I remember correctly, it caused a stir on DCP too.

I just thought the voiceovers and guard were a bad perfume commercial 

• Haha 2

On 3/12/2023 at 3:07 PM, Chief Guns said:

I can't imagine how pathetic someone's life must be to resort to heckling a bunch of high school/college kids.

Yeah, I’m glad you didn’t have to see the things I saw from crowd cretins to Star of Indiana for a few years.  People actually booed at them in Madison in 1991. I thought I was gonna die. 

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Yeah, I’m glad you didn’t have to see the things I saw from crowd cretins to Star of Indiana for a few years.  People actually booed at them in Madison in 1991. I thought I was gonna die. 

We got booed at DCM in Champaign in 1993, too. Throughout that season, truthfully. Also, when our I&E brass octet ("Split Complimentaries") won with a perfect score, we got booed accepting the S.O.M.E. awards at Semis.

"Play 100! Let's hear what 100 sounds like!"

We weren't allowed by corps leadership to perform any of our I&E stuff after the fact, or I would've been very happy to demonstrate exactly what 100 sounded like.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, GBugler said:

We got booed at DCM in Champaign in 1993, too. Throughout that season, truthfully. Also, when our I&E brass octet ("Split Complimentaries") won with a perfect score, we got booed accepting the S.O.M.E. awards at Semis.

"Play 100! Let's hear what 100 sounds like!"

We weren't allowed by corps leadership to perform any of our I&E stuff after the fact, or I would've been very happy to demonstrate exactly what 100 sounded like.

I think I was at that show.  I’m sure I was disgusted that time, too. 

6 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

At championships in 2006 I saw someone relieve themselves on a vehicle belonging to one of the medalists. Presumably they couldn't find the judges' vehicles.