Controversial shows

13 minutes ago, contraguard05 said:

At championships in 2006 I saw someone relieve themselves on a vehicle belonging to one of the medalists. Presumably they couldn't find the judges' vehicles.

Too bad the person driving that vehicle didn't catch them in the act and make them lick it up. 

• Like 1

Cadets The Zone.  Such backlash as one of the first championship shows with amps and narration.  Was that 05?

Cavaliers Spin Cycle was pretty controversial as they kept winning with original music and drill no other corps came close to.

Crowns show this year was pretty controversial too.  Haven’t seen that much intense love/hate divide for a show in a long time.

On 3/12/2023 at 1:37 PM, contraguard05 said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Cavaliers from 2001-2003 for.... just daring to do their thing. There was a segment within the DCI fanbase that thought their visually oriented programs with original music was going to be the death of the activity. I recall standing in retreat next to them as a fan of another organization heckled the performers with loads of profanity and homophobic slurs.

outside of the costuming in 03, i don't remember that much hatred, even here. granted i still think 02 is over rated, but they performed the hell out of it

On 3/12/2023 at 1:37 PM, contraguard05 said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Cavaliers from 2001-2003 for.... just daring to do their thing. There was a segment within the DCI fanbase that thought their visually oriented programs with original music was going to be the death of the activity. I recall standing in retreat next to them as a fan of another organization heckled the performers with loads of profanity and homophobic slurs.

I guess I never would have thought of this. Cavaliers from 2000 - 2009 were fantastic. They won 5 championships in there and were the dominant corps with some legendary drill design and (believe it or not) 2 brass championships (2002 and 2006) - not to mention percussion and guard. I really never got a vibe from the crowd that somehow they were controversial or not liked...or even too contemporary. Spin Cycle certainly had elements of contemporary flare and an original look and feel but the show was still fun and they nailed it. I think they were marching a number of Florida kids who were recently in Magic during their absence that season. They had talent and some great soloists and real chops in the trumpets. 

I usually think controversial shows have some combination of the following elements:

1. Contemporary design (such as Star of Indiana 1993, Suncoast Sound 1984 or 1988) -- Star, of course, pulled this off brilliantly and many fans eventually came to see this even if they did not at the time. Suncoast did well in 1984 with the Vietnam Memorial show and their "Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child" was well received. The Cadets 2005 "The Zone..." show was mostly well received and was brilliantly performed, but I would also argue it has a lot of classic drum corps elements. Yes, the drum rap segment was discussed a lot and the uniforms were interesting but it's not as ground breaking as many might think. It however is the ONLY show to win all captions and all sub-captions. 
  2. Some level of political theme or social cause (you can insert Suncoast Sound's 1988 show here as well)
  3. A patriotic show that oozes too much cheese (The Cadets 2002 or 2014) -- however Cadets 1995 patriotic show on the 50th anniversary of WWII was very well done and the crowd loved it. 
  4. A corps that has money, is new, and moves up the ranks quickly (like Star of Indiana) and when they begin beating long-established units the fans often take exception and boo. This happened on a few occasions. Some fans wanted ALL corps to "pay their dues" and suffer like everyone else before they started winning -- or something along those lines. This was a real thing back in the day, though I do not think most fans were like this. Some were. No matter what that corps performed it was controversial. I heard all kinds of comments from 1990 - 1993 from fans who had issues with Star.
  • "They were too contemporary." "They bought their title in 1991 by paying Zingali for ( $___insert cash amount ) to write them the show of all shows." "Bill Cook paid off the judges." "Bill Cook was paying for the PBS telecast so the judges were going to favor Star." "They're just a bunch of rich kids that didn't have to earn anything." I even heard a fan in front of me at a show state the following: "they're faking out the judges by passing the melody around to different groups." 

5. Finally, there is the Blue Devils effect. "All they do is stand around and play." "Too much park n bark." "Drill is too easy." "All they do is body movement and free-form running around." "it's a WGI show." This too can create some controversy. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

We can agree to disagree on 02. 

and thats cool. i just got tired of the gimmicks...and the big percussion ticks

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 1:45 PM, GREENBLUE said:

Who can forget the Cadets “Naked Jesus dancing with a cross” in 2017. I remember my mouth dropping the first time I saw it. Not offended but more shocked lol

I loved that show, but I don't recall ever seeing "Naked Jesus".  I guess my attention was focused on something else happening on the field.

4 hours ago, Mikah said:

I loved that show, but I don't recall ever seeing "Naked Jesus".  I guess my attention was focused on something else happening on the field.

The Lord smiled upon you

• Haha 3