Controversial shows

5 hours ago, Sideways said:

Whenever someone does Book of Mormon.

Rocky Horror

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Rocky Horror

Oh this might be the ultimate "audience participation response" show.

On 3/18/2023 at 7:09 AM, waliman4444 said:

I think the Cadets show in 2019 was controversial  in that the emphasis was on DOING BETTER ...Given the turmoil surrounding the corps coming from the Hop escapades, doing better looked liked an over produced apology to the whole world..The props were huge, the music forgettable, the uniforms elaborate and the judges were kind, IMO..Not blaming the mm's because that was what they were given..I just remember the Peggy Lee song (Is that all there is) after seeing each Cadet show that season, hoping there were changes coming to rescue the program.. Glad they eventually did get better..Peace

My understanding from a mother whose son marched in 2018 and 2019 is that 2019 was the more difficult year for marching members, especially alums. In 2018, everyone admired the fact the corps made the field. The audiences were enthusiastic and lots of folks who were not Cadets fans still supported them. Also as much as possible, external strife did not impact the show. In 2019 you had a poorly conceived show, the fans were not as receptive, and the off field strife was no secret to marching members. I often run into Cadets volunteers at the airport and one who has volunteered for years said “They did the best with what they were given.” Her words were pretty accurate. 

Regarding the controversial nature of the show, I understand what they wanted to do, but a drum corps show that combines learning a lesson, #MeToo, and a promise to do better didn’t make sense for me then and still does not now. Take the sexual assault allegations out of the picture, you still had the former director’s antics, financial issues, and staff discord. That’s a culture that developed and it can take years to combat. I’m not sure that show was even a step in the right direction. 

• Thanks 2