Controversial shows

44 minutes ago, TOC said:

There were a few sexual type images beginning just before the ending and during the ending.   Start at about 8:30.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIfO8srzNUc

That's the first time I've seen that. Personally I don't see anything controversial like what I heard about in the past. I think it's fine. 

But I also understand we are all different. Heck I remember in 2014 at the Riverside CA show, some lady in the crowd being outraged by BDs color guard when they did the tambourine smack with their hips lol. She said it wasn't appropriate for her teenage son to be seeing that lol. 

• Haha 3

Garfield forming a peace sign at the height of the Vietnam War in 1971 was very controversial at the time.   

1974 Kingsmen received some criticism for doing a "dark show" and the rifle line for briefly mimicking the demon possessed.  

What is "1980s-style moral panic"?  Did I miss something fun?  

• Like 2

Anything "NEW" is typically controversial in DCI.  The list is long.

93 Star - "they never play loud, it's too controlled, the drumline doesn't play enough, etc etc etc."

87 Garfields perfect drum score .... similar complaints to 93 Star (same arranger)

88 Suncoast Sound - this show is OUT THERE and I loved it.

86 Garfield (backward company front - "turning their back on DCI" was the complaint)

05 Cadets - drumspeak feature

I love all of these shows for various reasons.  Mostly because they pushed what was possible and acted as a springboard for what was to come.

Judges vs Fans? 

Most Madison Scouts shows prior to 2004.  They were almost always a fan favorite and often heard boo's at retreat due to scoring and placement.

BD "winning" all the time by playing to the sheets blah blah blah.  TOo many haters with valid arguments (lol'ing at myself).

The big complaints of the past were often a comparison between valuing ART over History of what Drum Corps was or should be.  Now the complaints are Art vs. Formula vs. What Drum Corps was or should be.  Further current complaints are Entertainment vs. Design being rewarded properly. 

I hear the following all the time:

"I miss uniforms"

"I miss drill"

"I miss complete songs that I can hum and enjoy"

"I just want to be entertained vs. having a message shoved down my throat"

Meh .... as time passes, history will judge everything differently.  Attitudes will change as new things get dialed in and perfected.  Experimentation, Execution and Entertainment is what made DCI great and will continue to do so.  The big question is, in 20 years what will you actually want to go back and Watch or Listen to?

Last thought.  I guess I look back at shows I consider a masterpiece (flawed or not) and feel there were more of them in the past compared to what we're getting now.  That's a hard nut to crack and accomplish.  The great ones are getting harder and harder to find.

39 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

That's the first time I've seen that. Personally I don't see anything controversial like what I heard about in the past. I think it's fine. 

But I also understand we are all different. Heck I remember in 2014 at the Riverside CA show, some lady in the crowd being outraged by BDs color guard when they did the tambourine smack with their hips lol. She said it wasn't appropriate for her teenage son to be seeing that lol. 

in 2014 her teenage son had undoubtedly seen much much more than that already.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

in 2014 her teenage son had undoubtedly seen much much more than that already.

Lol facts! I felt bad for him. He was so embarrassed. He had that "Few more years then I am 18 and out of here" look on his face. Lol.

IIRC, Crown’s show, Relentless, a while back had A LOT of fuss about the original ending, where the good guy shoots the bad guy. Entire ending was rewritten. Am I remembering this correctly?

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, supersop said:

Most Madison Scouts shows prior to 2004.  They were almost always a fan favorite and often heard boo's at retreat due to scoring and placement.

Which was always confusing to me. Because quite a few of Madison's biggest supporters where always proud to say that they were so happy that Madison wasn't in it for scores and placements.........they were in it for pleasing the fans. But then 2-3 hours later when scores were announced, those same people were ready to riot over Madison's.............score and placement LMAO. Never understood that. 

• Like 1

I remember a few people taking exception to the Cadets doing a Patriotic show in 2002, which was the first DCI finals after 9/11. 

I thought the show was pretty cool. Killer drumline that year!!! 

3 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Ah Bridgemen.  That show is non stop fun

You are right! Non stop fun..lol. love how they all fall down at the end.

47 minutes ago, supersop said:

"I miss complete songs that I can hum and enjoy"

I got DCI songs going through my head pretty much 24/7. Humming is occasionally involved here