Vanguard CEO resigns

7 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

And Pioneerland for their base of operations? :whistle: 

(in my best Brandt Crocker voice).......

Performing their 2023 program "When Silicon Valley Eyes Are Smiling", please welcome to the field, from Milwaukee Wisconsin, The Vanguard Pioneers!!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Barneveld said:

(in my best Brandt Crocker voice).......

Performing their 2023 program "When Silicon Valley Eyes Are Smiling", please welcome to the field, from Milwaukee Wisconsin, The Vanguard Pioneers!!

They may have to mix and match uniforms. We could call them The Thing. 

• Haha 7

15 hours ago, Sideways said:

Imagine the super corps if Jeff Fiedler and he who shall not be named teamed up….

The dontouchables

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 3

On 3/9/2023 at 11:23 AM, RiverCityAndTroopersFan said:

I’m obviously not qualified to talk about what could save SCV but here we go.

1. Vanguard Cadets gotta go. It will be controversial but put them on hiatus or something. There is no way that SCV can support 2 corps. 
2. Go to open class. Costs are cheaper their and you can prove that you are back. 
3. Complete overhaul of the BoD.

4. Maybe (if you can) sell wc license

Goof stuff, but I am going to go the other way with no. 1. I think the way to bring SCV back is to make sure you build from your home base and then outward. The SCV Cadets to me are the way back. You need a local group that offers year-round lessons, camps and training. You need the help of local parents who run bingo. You need local/regional residents - especially those who are raising kids - to say "it would be great if my kid grows up to march and perform with SCV Cadets. These younger kids should mostly come from the area. You need to have local performances in parades and at park concerts, etc. year around. Not just in the summer. In the summer you travel California for 3 weeks with a 2 to 3 week camp. Maybe on occasion you take them out of state. Start a local youth concert band program (Santa Clara, San Jose, Cupertino, etc.) and join forces with San Jose State to help with instructors and a place to practice and perform. Done right and this would be a help to local middle school and early high school students and could help you gain some trust and even help from local music educators. 

You need to be popular and well respected in your community and region. If you want locals attending your bingo games and dropping dollars to support a youth arts org then you need to build locally first and then outward. None of this means they cannot bring the World-Class SCV back onto the field, but there you are recruiting older H.S. and college students from all over the place. Many of the parents of these kids do not live in Silicon Valley. They cannot help with bingo. They cannot help with other fund raisers. They cannot help with local functions, concerts, parades, etc. They do not have kids going to the local schools. 

SCV Cadets should probably become a part of a larger youth initiative run by Vanguard. Youth Concert Band, Lessons, Camps, Seminars (Perc., Brass, Guard), the summer Cadets corps, a Fall-Winter Parade Corps, Dance Studio for Youth, and more. The Blue Devils have all this. Now I am not saying you have to fully copy BD, but that is a good place to start and the cost reasonable. I know we often think the days of local drum corps have died but I think times are changing. Inflation is real. People are busy. Many parents are sending their kids to private schools or they are home schooling. They are always looking for opportunities like this. The public schools will welcome these initiatives, such as those mentioned above, providing they help in the development of the Arts. Either SCV is going to build a local base and local enthusiasm or they will try to convince people to spend dollars on a bingo game (maybe 2 games) who simply don't care that their money is going to support out-of-towners to tour with an expensive World-Class Drum Corps. I know this is the model we have seen all over the country but we have seen many drum corps organizations try their best to do more locally. I think the winds are shifting and I really believe SCV needs a reboot starting from the ground-up. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Goof stuff, but I am going to go the other way with no. 1. I think the way to bring SCV back is to make sure you build from your home base and then outward. The SCV Cadets to me are the way back. You need a local group that offers year-round lessons, camps and training. You need the help of local parents who run bingo. You need local/regional residents - especially those who are raising kids - to say "it would be great if my kid grows up to march and perform with SCV Cadets. These younger kids should mostly come from the area. You need to have local performances in parades and at park concerts, etc. year around. Not just in the summer. In the summer you travel California for 3 weeks with a 2 to 3 week camp. Maybe on occasion you take them out of state. Start a local youth concert band program (Santa Clara, San Jose, Cupertino, etc.) and join forces with San Jose State to help with instructors and a place to practice and perform. Done right and this would be a help to local middle school and early high school students and could help you gain some trust and even help from local music educators. 

You need to be popular and well respected in your community and region. If you want locals attending your bingo games and dropping dollars to support a youth arts org then you need to build locally first and then outward. None of this means they cannot bring the World-Class SCV back onto the field, but there you are recruiting older H.S. and college students from all over the place. Many of the parents of these kids do not live in Silicon Valley. They cannot help with bingo. They cannot help with other fund raisers. They cannot help with local functions, concerts, parades, etc. They do not have kids going to the local schools. 

SCV Cadets should probably become a part of a larger youth initiative run by Vanguard. Youth Concert Band, Lessons, Camps, Seminars (Perc., Brass, Guard), the summer Cadets corps, a Fall-Winter Parade Corps, Dance Studio for Youth, and more. The Blue Devils have all this. Now I am not saying you have to fully copy BD, but that is a good place to start and the cost reasonable. I know we often think the days of local drum corps have died but I think times are changing. Inflation is real. People are busy. Many parents are sending their kids to private schools or they are home schooling. They are always looking for opportunities like this. The public schools will welcome these initiatives, such as those mentioned above, providing they help in the development of the Arts. Either SCV is going to build a local base and local enthusiasm or they will try to convince people to spend dollars on a bingo game (maybe 2 games) who simply don't care that their money is going to support out-of-towners to tour with an expensive World-Class Drum Corps. I know this is the model we have seen all over the country but we have seen many drum corps organizations try their best to do more locally. I think the winds are shifting and I really believe SCV needs a reboot starting from the ground-up. 

I have been saying since December that the best way to resurrect themselves would be to come back as SCV Cadets at first. 

• Like 4