Vanguard CEO resigns

Re CA bands as potential SCV recruits: anyone have an idea how many CA members were in SCV or BD? And how many were still in high school or recently graduated?

16 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

For those members that joined from outside of California, staying this long in the state could be a dream come true. (All this moving SCV to Texas talk makes me LOL... I was trying to escape Texas as a young person!!) The weather in Cali is excellent compared to the dog days tour through Texas and the dirty South. And, I can't speak for others, but I felt so much happier as a young multiracial person in Cali/west coast than many other places on tour. Read: I felt safer and more culturally fulfilled in Cali.

Also, dat home crowd Cali energy is electric.

Planting finals in Indy has always irked me, since it was nothing more than a single stop on tour BITD at best. How much more do west coast corps pay just to get out there? And what advantages does that provide corps that are established closer? But I think DCI and LOS have an ongoing contract for ... ever?? How many more years?

Totally Agree...stay in California and do the west coast circuit, with weekend trips into Oregon, and So-Cal, and then link up with the tour in Atlanta. It's basically what the cadets corps does. You will only get a handful of reads against most of the competitors, but DCI West will have BD, SCV, Mandarins, and usually one or two eastern corps which helps. In the meantime rehearse locally, house as many members as you can with local families, let some stay at the hall, etc. Makes perfect sense and would save a ton of money. Unfortunately the EGO of some people will never let that happen. 

Edited by MarimbaManiac
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Re CA bands as potential SCV recruits: anyone have an idea how many CA members were in SCV or BD? And how many were still in high school or recently graduated?

I can provide you are rough approximation on the  2023 BD trumpets section anyway:

Of the 24 trumpets, between 40-50% are from Calif, the rest from out of state, and 2-3 are international. Approx.  9-11 of the 24 BD trumpets marched either BDA/BDB,SCV/ SCVC.  8-10 of the trumpets are ages 16-18, ...3-4 are in high school,.. the rest are between the ages of 19-22.  All 24 trumpets have marched in Drum Corps before this season, either in Cali, or elsewhere.

It appears that approx. 45-55% of the BD marchers overall of the 155 + in any given year are from Calif.... BD does appear to prefer their marchers to have marched somewhere in competition before, ie DCI, WGI.  Even their young marchers,  ages16-18 tend to have marched somewhere before ( Cali, or out of state ) before being selected for a spot in line in their Blue Devils A  Corps.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Planting finals in Indy has always irked me, since it was nothing more than a single stop on tour BITD at best. How much more do west coast corps pay just to get out there? And what advantages does that provide corps that are established closer? But I think DCI and LOS have an ongoing contract for ... ever?? How many more years?

I've seen this mileage/cost argument come up from time to time so this isn't directed at you specifically, @scheherazadesghost. But your post prompted me to do a quick comparison.

Taking the best corps on the west coast and the beast from the east and using the 2023 schedule, as is currently published on the DCI website........

Blue Devils - 9771 miles ; Boston Crusaders 8246 miles

However, if you eliminate "in home state only" travel (for example Lynn, MA to Quincy, MA or Fresno, CA to Pasadena, CA), the difference is only 298 miles. BD - 8497 miles; BAC - 8199 miles

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barneveld said:

I've seen this mileage/cost argument come up from time to time so this isn't directed at you specifically, @scheherazadesghost. But your post prompted me to do a quick comparison.

Taking the best corps on the west coast and the beast from the east and using the 2023 schedule, as is currently published on the DCI website........

Blue Devils - 9771 miles ; Boston Crusaders 8246 miles

However, if you eliminate "in home state only" travel (for example Lynn, MA to Quincy, MA or Fresno, CA to Pasadena, CA), the difference is only 298 miles. BD - 8497 miles; BAC - 8199 miles

I don't think that tells the whole story, nor that "in state" is a fair comparison, considering the size different between MA and CA. When BD travel to southern California, it's a full tour mode, with housing and meals provided. Lynn to Quincy is somewhere between 30-120 minutes depending on traffic (let's be honest, more likely 120). 

The difference I think, is staying in the California circuit allows the corps to have weekend tours, and be local during the week. SCVC doesn't (or at least didn't) provide housing for the corps when we were in town. There might be a few cases where they have to find arrangements, but the corps as a whole is not housed. Summer rehearsals (after spring training) the members get themselves there, and get their own lunches/dinners. Compare that to having a week stay in a remote site where they are providing full tour service. It amounts to the same mileage, but at vastly different costs. 

So this thread is sliding away from the initial focus of the CEO resigning.  All the talk of tour, bands, regions, membership and so on means absolutely nothing until and unless SCV can get their org act together.  A discussion of the org as it is currently constructed might lead to ideas for maybe how it should be constructed to support re-entry to World Class, Open Class, whatever.  Who might lead SCV ?  What’s the BOD composition?  How might they raise money?  If these elements aren’t  fixed and fixed right away, there’s little chance we’ll see anything from SCV in 2024. The clock is ticking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2