Vanguard CEO resigns

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2023 at 8:50 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

Keep reading about CA residents marching CA corps. Sure CA has lot of potential members and music programs. What’s forgotten is how huge CA is in size. And with BD and SCV close together (and Sacramento driving distance) just don’t see potential members at other ends of the state saying “yeah I’m going to march there just because it’s in my state.

Don't know if someone pointed this out already... the distance from the wealthy suburbs of LA to Concord/Santa Clara is about 325 miles.  Draw a circle with a 325 mile radius around Rockford, Atlanta, Rock Hill, Rosemont, Canton, Allentown and Boston.  That's a TON of talent inside those circles.  That's the equivalent of Phantom drawing people from Kansas City/St. Louis/Louisville/Indianapolis/Cincinnati/Columbus/Cleveland/Detroit/Milwaukee/Minneapolis.  Geographically speaking, the SF/SJ/Sacramento area is actually isolated from any other population centers other than Reno/Fresno/Bakersfield.  Even Vegas is further away from Santa Clara than LA.

My point is, there may be a lot of people in Cali, but the population centers are quite a ways apart.  If you're not drawing from the Bay area, your members are either driving 4 hours each way or flying in.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 5:45 PM, scheherazadesghost said:

Board members will be addressing alumni next week. Maybe we'll learn more then.

and........?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and........

A lot of positive steps in the right direction (debts nearly paid off, revenue is bouncing back, implementing better cost controls, etc), with official communications and the Vanguard Voice coming soon.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, OpenClassAlum said:

A lot of positive steps in the right direction (debts nearly paid off, revenue is bouncing back, implementing better cost controls, etc), with official communications and the Vanguard Voice coming soon.

While I hope you’re right, I’m not so sure I would believe anything printed in the Vanguard Voice if it is being run by the same folks who let this mess happen in the first place.

• Like 2

My question is whether SCV shot themselves in their own foot by taking camp fees/membership fees knowing they were going to drop out for 2023? To me it would cause trust issues with potential members. I personally wouldn't want to attempt to march for a corps who knowingly ripped off their members.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, ZTWright said:

My question is whether SCV shot themselves in their own foot by taking camp fees/membership fees knowing they were going to drop out for 2023? To me it would cause trust issues with potential members. I personally wouldn't want to attempt to march for a corps who knowingly ripped off their members.

i believe the allure of the name and staff would probably get enough talent to come

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keith Hall said:

So will they compete in Open Class next year?

No they won’t.  
But they should. Once financial situation has stabilized (if it does) they need to build local support that is beyond the bingo hall.  And that is called the Vanguard Cadets.   Once and if they get the organization on solid foundation, then, and only then,  bring back the A Corps.  
My fear is that for 2024 they will scrape together finances and hold them together with duct tape and zip ties while the foundation further erodes.  And next time it fails they won’t be coming back. 

• Like 2