MEMPHIS BLUES DRUM CORPS!

18 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

It’s good to see the back! I remember back in 1980(?) when they came off the line with Barnum and Bailey’s Favorite. I thought they had a really good horn line and expected great things from them in the futureWho knew the future would be so long in coming.

Yes; my college band mates that marched were incredible musicians.  They could put a lot of air thru a G bugle.  My favorite chart was their closer, "Can't Help Falling in Love" @10:25.  Think it became their 'corps song'...   

Update: They used Barnum & Baileys in '81 as well.

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

It’s good to see the back! I remember back in 1980(?) when they came off the line with Barnum and Bailey’s Favorite. I thought they had a really good horn line and expected great things from them in the futureWho knew the future would be so long in coming.

Here ya go!  1980 complete with scratches & dust on the vinyl. 😁  

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/11/2023 at 12:01 AM, Jeff Ream said:

they must have $$

its the same ED that started Music city.   Keith Hall (Band Hall).  Using the Bill cook method of using services others pay for in the activity, and putting that cash from profit back into the activity... ish. 

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, C.Holland said:

its the same ED that started Music city.   Keith Hall (Band Hall).  Using the Bill cook method of using services others pay for in the activity, and putting that cash from profit back into the activity... ish. 

Keith Hall sold The Band Hall in 2021-2022 and I'm guessing he's bored with retirement and ready for some drum corps action again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

Keith Hall sold The Band Hall in 2021-2022 and I'm guessing he's bored with retirement and ready for some drum corps action again.

and has money to burn.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 1:22 PM, Terri Schehr said:

Yes.  Jim taught them their first year as a favor to George Lindstrom. 

From what I remember, our main in-house percussion guy during my time with DCA's Sunrisers, Rich Cesani, was hired to work with the Memphis drum line in 1980. 

Sun's line had won three straight percussion titles with Rich there. A great guy, and great teacher. 

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Fran Haring said:

From what I remember, our main in-house percussion guy during my time with DCA's Sunrisers, Rich Cesani, was hired to work with the Memphis drum line in 1980. 

Sun's line had won three straight percussion titles with Rich there. A great guy, and great teacher. 

I don’t remember him talking about him. I know Mike Chiodo was there, too. Maybe it was 1981.  He might have been with Pride of Cincinnati in 1980 because his Dad asked him to help out. I know he was stationed near Memphis for a short time but then was stationed at El Toro for eight years where he helped out at VK while he was in Southern California.   He was crazy back then.  He even worked with Watkins Glen Squires one year, I think 1979, because Gerry Kearby asked him to help. He was far more accommodating than I would ever have been. 😂 

• Like 2