March Madness DCI Edition

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

Thanks to the OP for doing this. I have enjoyed making my picks and some of them are incredibly difficult. I've been trying to use a combination of factors in making my choice, such as entertainment, performance, innovation at the time of the show, what shows they competed against at the time, and just trying to be objective as much as possible. To me you can't just go on who you think would beat who by today's standards since some of these shows are a decade or two apart and judging has changed. The bells and whistles have changed. Of course without the innovations and excellence of the older shows we would not have the current shows. 

It would be nice to do a March Madness bracket for each Decade. It's much more work, so my apologies to the OP who has already put in much time, but it would be fun to compare by the Decade and do 4 brackets, 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000-2009, 2010-2019 (only leaving out 2022 and save that for another time). This also allows the corps from the 1970s and part of the 80s to have their own space since the scoring system drastically changed with the Tic system was thrown out. In those days getting close to 88 to 90 points meant you had a shot to win. 

More input the better. I’ve considered doing a decades tournament but have hesitated for the reason that it would divide nicely with 4 decades into quads, but with 5 decades I run into debating how to include that. I ran a tournament a few years ago on here with brackets that were “DCI classics”, “Modern Shows”, “High Scorers”, and “Fan Favorites” with DCI classics housing the 70’s and 80’s and that seemed to be well received. I’d love to do a decades tournament tho! And I didn’t miss Hook’em’s all Cavies suggestion either 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, OhioBoy_99 said:

More input the better. I’ve considered doing a decades tournament but have hesitated for the reason that it would divide nicely with 4 decades into quads, but with 5 decades I run into debating how to include that. I ran a tournament a few years ago on here with brackets that were “DCI classics”, “Modern Shows”, “High Scorers”, and “Fan Favorites” with DCI classics housing the 70’s and 80’s and that seemed to be well received. I’d love to do a decades tournament tho! And I didn’t miss Hook’em’s all Cavies suggestion either 😂

It's a lot of work for you. I just appreciate what you have done. Always fun to do, and honestly my mind changes a lot when it comes to these pairings. 

• Thanks 1

Round 2 voting has closed and we’re officially onto the Sweet 16! Voting ends at 5PM et tomorrow!

Vote in each bracket attached! Or any link in this thread including the original post!

Bracket 1:

https://www.polltab.com/bracket-poll/RbU8qOxk7UE4

Bracket 2:

https://www.polltab.com/bracket-poll/8YlDECekLxBi

Few surprises I’ll be honest and it’s making it all the more entertaining!

Edited by OhioBoy_99
  • Thanks 1

I do love Santa Clara 1998 but them beating out Blue Devils 2014 is like the upset of all upsets. It's all for fun...but that is a head scratcher. 

1 hour ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Cavies 92 is out?

That's depressing.... 

Yeah, that one is a tough call too. Both champions. For me it came down to the music book and visual program of Garfield 1985. The demand in that brass book was insane and to close with Candide took guts. It was a show that raised the bar in the activity, maybe even more than their WSS show from 1984 (though I like that one better). Cavaliers 1992 is a beautiful show with a wonderful visual program that peaked at the right time during a season that was mostly dominated by Star of Indiana. Cavies marching was outstanding and they really cleaned. Even their brass line had a wonderful homogenous sound. The brass book was somewhat watered down but the percussion was killer good. They didn't quite push the activity the way Garfield did in 85, or the way the Cavaliers did in 2002. So that may have been the difference for me. 

It's so difficult when it's amazing show vs amazing show. 

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Omg Crown 2012 and Phantom 2008.  I had to make a choice. 😬

Yup, but I had to go with Crown 2012.  Watched them rehearse at Papa Johns Stadium that year & then called our assistant directors.  Told them they had to get to the Tennessee show the next night to see them in person!  Incredible... 

:babies:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

Yup, but I had to go with Crown 2012.  Watched them rehearse at Papa Johns Stadium that year & then called our assistant directors.  Told them they had to get to the Tennessee show the next night to see them in person!  Incredible... 

:babies:

I was at that show.  The sound in that stadium was great. 

• Like 1