Jersey Surf Announces Revised Plan for 2023 DCI Summer Tour

On 3/22/2023 at 4:28 PM, cixelsyd said:

As I understand it, that is what was happening more and more... but a trend toward fewer TEPs and most events run by DCI and/or their corps began overriding that in the last few pre-pandemic seasons.

if the event is run by DCI, dci keeps the cash made.  But that means fewer events because well, they're not exactly Aurora Productions.  (look them up. you'll understand the reference)  They don't have the resources or the workforce to put a show in every city every night of the week.  

In fact, by creating scarcity, they can drive up ticket prices of the flagship events.   

2 hours ago, C.Holland said:

In fact, by creating scarcity, they can drive up ticket prices of the flagship events.   

I have always thought that, to prosper, it is better to get a modest sum of money from many sources, rather than a large amount of money from a few sources.

17 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I don't know what goes on behind the closed doors or in private discussions, but there's got to be a boatload of concern at the top. If it's everything is hunky-dorey and there's nothing to see here, kiss it all goodbye. 

they'll give the financial concerns a little bit of lip service, but coming out with full transparency about how half of them #### their pants hourly would probably create a panic and make things worse

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Lemme at those sumsabeaches. I'll ask the tough questions. I was a cub reporter for the US Grant Middle School Weekly Reader. 

your name is Dan Potter, so i doubt anyone will answer anything beyond the approved talking points

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I have always thought that, to prosper, it is better to get a modest sum of money from many sources, rather than a large amount of money from a few sources.

there's merit to both sides of that coin, though to be honest, never has truly worked as intended

14 hours ago, C.Holland said:

if the event is run by DCI, dci keeps the cash made.  But that means fewer events because well, they're not exactly Aurora Productions.  (look them up. you'll understand the reference)  They don't have the resources or the workforce to put a show in every city every night of the week.  

Which is something that has to be kept in mind when they talk about 'record attendance' at some of their events. They may have great attendance at the regionals/finals, but its still negative if fewer people overall are seeing shows because the number of those are a fraction of what they once were. 

Edited by AlexL
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, AlexL said:

Which is something that has to be kept in mind when they talk about 'record attendance' at some of their events. They may have great attendance at the regionals/finals, but its still negative if fewer people overall are seeing shows because the number of those are a fraction of what they once were. 

And let’s not forget less places exposed to drum corps.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AlexL said:

whats the cut earned from Flo? I ask because it seems Flo is showing an overwhelming majority of the shows now

On 3/24/2023 at 2:17 PM, C.Holland said:

Since the dust settled with G7, DCI has wanted fewer shows with fuller line ups in places where good sized audiences are all but guaranteed. This does make sense but it can also lead to problems.

Over the years I have met people who organized shows in the Northeast and Midwest, most dating back to DCE and DCM. I did not know most of these people when they were organizing the shows, but as they looked back, there were two issues they credited with being at least partial reasons why the annual events came to an end. One involved DCI which they saw as a difficult organization to work with on matters they considered petty. Local corps also made things difficult, especially if they viewed the local show as competition to their home shows. I can see where there would be two sides to the story, but those were common complaints.

I think we may see other issues surface regarding corps’ home shows and DCI. Yes I know DCI is the member corps, but when their individual interests are at stake, I’m not sure that’s how they view it. Corps consider the success of a show based on profits. DCI as an organization bases success on people in attendance. Corps want to make connections with home shows. DCI wants to grow the audience. The two are not necessarily the same. I’ve seen attendance dwindle at shows sponsored by two major corps. I’ve also talked with people I know associated with both corps who have talked about the success of their home shows. Sales of souvenirs, the possibility of purchasing 50-50 raffle tickets electronically so you don’t have to be in attendance, financial donations can still be successful without people in the seats as long as the overall attendance is good. I would not be surprised to see one show featuring WC corps in Massachusetts and one in New Jersey in the future, perhaps only one in the coastal areas of the Northeast with the exception of Allentown.

10 hours ago, Tim K said:

Since the dust settled with G7, DCI has wanted fewer shows with fuller line ups in places where good sized audiences are all but guaranteed. This does make sense but it can also lead to problems.

Over the years I have met people who organized shows in the Northeast and Midwest, most dating back to DCE and DCM. I did not know most of these people when they were organizing the shows, but as they looked back, there were two issues they credited with being at least partial reasons why the annual events came to an end. One involved DCI which they saw as a difficult organization to work with on matters they considered petty. Local corps also made things difficult, especially if they viewed the local show as competition to their home shows. I can see where there would be two sides to the story, but those were common complaints.

I think we may see other issues surface regarding corps’ home shows and DCI. Yes I know DCI is the member corps, but when their individual interests are at stake, I’m not sure that’s how they view it. Corps consider the success of a show based on profits. DCI as an organization bases success on people in attendance. Corps want to make connections with home shows. DCI wants to grow the audience. The two are not necessarily the same. I’ve seen attendance dwindle at shows sponsored by two major corps. I’ve also talked with people I know associated with both corps who have talked about the success of their home shows. Sales of souvenirs, the possibility of purchasing 50-50 raffle tickets electronically so you don’t have to be in attendance, financial donations can still be successful without people in the seats as long as the overall attendance is good. I would not be surprised to see one show featuring WC corps in Massachusetts and one in New Jersey in the future, perhaps only one in the coastal areas of the Northeast with the exception of Allentown.

you'll see whatever Boston runs, DCI East, Surfs show and Annapolis. and even then attendance could be down.

why? Flo, especially if the weather is iffy