Jersey Surf Announces Revised Plan for 2023 DCI Summer Tour

4 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Oh that mobile lab is a very cool idea.  

After Crown's "show app" i keep waiting for some corps to work with an app developer and make one of those sampling/noodling apps only with tracks using brass and percussion bits.   Throw that out there to the digitial generation on phones and let them create loops and stuff that explore the range of brass and percussion ensemble sounds like some of the digital music things do for electronic music.   

Surf may be the one to jump for such an innvoation actually. This lab is a super cool thing and they were on board for that drumcorps take of a pop song awhile back too.

i still say Crown lost revenue making it free for all

On 3/20/2023 at 5:40 PM, cixelsyd said:

Then might as well do away with appearance fees across the board.  And there should be no objection if DCI takes that $1.5 million they will save in 2023 and splits it 50-50 with me for proposing the idea.

I think they should swap appearance fees for more housing and fields.

If you let the show promoter keep that cash, you would have more show operators.   Let them instead provide an extra day of housing and fields for the corps instead of the single day.   

On 3/20/2023 at 11:51 PM, Jeff Ream said:

few parades pay like they used to. the economics of the game changed, and the fee structure for OC was determined by the OC corps. So they only have themselves to blame

they werent given a choice.  there were TOLD  "This is what it is, take it and shut up, or go make your own circuit not associated with DCI".

16 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Oh that mobile lab is a very cool idea.  

After Crown's "show app" i keep waiting for some corps to work with an app developer and make one of those sampling/noodling apps only with tracks using brass and percussion bits.   Throw that out there to the digitial generation on phones and let them create loops and stuff that explore the range of brass and percussion ensemble sounds like some of the digital music things do for electronic music.   

Surf may be the one to jump for such an innvoation actually. This lab is a super cool thing and they were on board for that drumcorps take of a pop song awhile back too.

Might end up with something like this. 

Hard to question any moves Surf makes to keep the ship afloat. 6 weeks ago, there was talks at camps of a DCI vs Soundsport decision on the horizon. I am glad they found a touring DCI option. 

3 hours ago, C.Holland said:

I think they should swap appearance fees for more housing and fields.

If you let the show promoter keep that cash, you would have more show operators.   Let them instead provide an extra day of housing and fields for the corps instead of the single day.   

As I understand it, that is what was happening more and more... but a trend toward fewer TEPs and most events run by DCI and/or their corps began overriding that in the last few pre-pandemic seasons.

21 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

This is the video.

Now imagine an app that lets you noodle around with samples and make loops that use brass and percussion riffs to make tunes.  I think the reach into younger generations with a sense "see what cool things this instrumentation can do" might widen the reach of the appeal of Drum Corps.

I looked her up on YouTube and Wikipedia. Lots of actress and singing credentials but I'm curious. Did she march? Where and when?

20 minutes ago, denverjohn said:

I looked her up on YouTube and Wikipedia. Lots of actress and singing credentials but I'm curious. Did she march? Where and when?

From her Wikipedia page:

While in high school, Gavankar auditioned for the front ensemble of the Phantom Regiment Drum and Bugle Corps of Rockford, Illinois. Before hearing whether she had made the corps, she was accepted for the Yale School of Drama's summer camp, and went there. "I fell in love with drum corps when I was 13 years old", Gavankar has stated, and remains a strong fan of the activity. When she heard the Martin Garrix/Usher collaboration, "Don't Look Down", she had the idea of performing it as marching music. With assistance from Drum Corps International, she contacted the Jersey Surf Drum and Bugle Corps and arranger Colin Bell. She went into the studios in New York with fifty members of Jersey Surf and recorded the music video "Don't Look Down- #JustAddDrumCorps Edition" that was released in April 2015.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janina_Gavankar#Music

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

Might end up with something like this. 

Neat!

Garage Band can achieve this but there's a learning curve to the software because it's also designed for a lot more capability.  

There was a web app made at one point by the fusion group Afro-Celt Sound System that used loops and layers from their music and allowed people to 'reconstruct' tunes as they wished in a noodling sort of way. 

That's the sort of thing I was thinking about for this only with actual percussion riffs and brass ostianos or something like that.  I imagine it might get caught up in licsencing hell if anything is TOO identifable to a song.  But alternatively, Surf (or some other savvy corps) could be recorded doing specific generic riffs that were composed by people working with the app creation team that are made specifically for the app.

The end result being a way for people to just sort of filddle around with the sounds of drum corps in a creative freeform way.  It'd result in a lot of bad things probably, but probably be something extremely fun to experiment with and the sort of thing people might get into in challeging each other to make neat things.