Jersey Surf Announces Revised Plan for 2023 DCI Summer Tour

On 3/29/2023 at 1:58 PM, Tim K said:

Since the dust settled with G7, DCI has wanted fewer shows with fuller line ups in places where good sized audiences are all but guaranteed. This does make sense but it can also lead to problems.

Over the years I have met people who organized shows in the Northeast and Midwest, most dating back to DCE and DCM. I did not know most of these people when they were organizing the shows, but as they looked back, there were two issues they credited with being at least partial reasons why the annual events came to an end. One involved DCI which they saw as a difficult organization to work with on matters they considered petty. Local corps also made things difficult, especially if they viewed the local show as competition to their home shows. I can see where there would be two sides to the story, but those were common complaints.

I think we may see other issues surface regarding corps’ home shows and DCI. Yes I know DCI is the member corps, but when their individual interests are at stake, I’m not sure that’s how they view it. Corps consider the success of a show based on profits. DCI as an organization bases success on people in attendance. Corps want to make connections with home shows. DCI wants to grow the audience. The two are not necessarily the same. I’ve seen attendance dwindle at shows sponsored by two major corps. I’ve also talked with people I know associated with both corps who have talked about the success of their home shows. Sales of souvenirs, the possibility of purchasing 50-50 raffle tickets electronically so you don’t have to be in attendance, financial donations can still be successful without people in the seats as long as the overall attendance is good. I would not be surprised to see one show featuring WC corps in Massachusetts and one in New Jersey in the future, perhaps only one in the coastal areas of the Northeast with the exception of Allentown.

Remember the full-page DCM ads in DCW w/ schedule of 40+ contests/season & contact info if you wanted a contest at your venue?  

• Like 3