'Ontario Must Abandon DCI, Embrace Québec' - opinion piece

"There might be many ways to grow the activity but the one who will succeed are the ones people believe in and are ready to invest time, energy, talent et money. We have those people at Stentors, pushing for a yearly DCI tour.  Those people will not invest their time for a parade corps, a local marching band or a local whatever.  The day DCI tell the Stentors we have to go "soundsport" it will be our last day. No one here want to invest 5 minutes in something less than competing drum corps. We will die as no one will take over for this new "orientation".   

Your adult group Old Guy has to have some Boston Crusaders DNA.  May the future be successful for the corps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2023 at 1:04 AM, Old Guy said:

It did not break the bank. What it did however, was generating more membership interest than years past. That result in a typical 30-35 members corps growing to 50 kids in 2022.  A 61% growth from 2019 coming back from a pandemic. 

It may look like small numbers but in a land where there is no marching band and where school music program are melting as fast the ice on top of the kilimandjaro, this was a remarkable achievement. 

The corps finished the season in the black...as always.  Wish we would be base in a more music friendly zone. At least we have winterguard and a beginning of a drumline scene getting started.

Great to hear that the Stentors are adding members. I live on the border 27 miles south of Sherbrooke and drive an equipment truck for a top 12 corps. Always try to watch your show in Indianapolis,  You have the best drivers and kids riding all the distance in the school bus

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, greenland said:

Great to hear that the Stentors are adding members. I live on the border 27 miles south of Sherbrooke and drive an equipment truck for a top 12 corps. Always try to watch your show in Indianapolis,  You have the best drivers and kids riding all the distance in the school bus

God Bless The Stentors. The last of the "doing the way we did it BITD". Just hope (and I'm sure they are) they're eating better than a PB&J and gas station Slim Jims diet. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

God Bless The Stentors. The last of the "doing the way we did it BITD". Just hope (and I'm sure they are) they're eating better than a PB&J and gas station Slim Jims diet. 

No worries about the food here. First class kitchen and team. Other than having all meal prepair and cook by us (not a frozen pre-cook pan of something that we re-heat prior to service), the biggest difference our alumni who goes marching "world" tell us every year is that Stentors serve a LOT MORE fruits. Those are available at every meal, every day and in quantity. 

• Like 1

Canada should embrace it's own drum corps organization.  DCI has distroyed many community based organizations on both sides of the border.  Local circuits were forced out of business ie. Garden State, Drum Corps Mid west etc.  The cost to do a DCI show got out of hand leaving the corps with no shows.  Will it ever change?  I don't think so.