The Cavaliers Color Guard Welcomes Three Dynamic Staff Additions

We are thrilled to proudly announce three new powerhouses to round out our summer Color Guard team: Stephanie Chavez Vance Anderson Anthony Martinez Stephanie Chavez joins us as Assistant Caption Head and Choreographer, Vance Anderson comes on board as a Choreographer, and Anthony Martinez joins us as an Instructor, rounding out a truly world-class team […]

View the full article

This is something I'll never-ever understand about contemporary Drum & Bugle Corps.  Even more so now considering the astronomical cost of housing, transportation, food, insurance, etc.

Why does a Color Guard alone need 13 instructors!!??  Is that many really necessary?  Maybe they're not all full time, but they must be getting paid something?  If you want to cut overhead, assuming you do, seems like an easy place to start would be to cut the number to two, maybe three guard instructors, and I bet no one in the audience would notice.

Makes me wonder who the activity is really for sometimes. 

8 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

This is something I'll never-ever understand about contemporary Drum & Bugle Corps.  Even more so now considering the astronomical cost of housing, transportation, food, insurance, etc.

Why does a Color Guard alone need 13 instructors!!??  Is that many really necessary?  Maybe they're not all full time, but they must be getting paid something?  If you want to cut overhead, assuming you do, seems like an easy place to start would be to cut the number to two, maybe three guard instructors, and I bet no one in the audience would notice.

Makes me wonder who the activity is really for sometimes. 

Because no one can afford (or wants to) be on the road for 11 weeks out of a 12 week summer anymore, ESPECIALLY the more experiences (see:older) instructors. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

Because no one can afford (or wants to) be on the road for 11 weeks out of a 12 week summer anymore, ESPECIALLY the more experiences (see:older) instructors. 

I would do it. They would have to force me to go home. 

I mean, I do bleed kelly green.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

An iconic World Class Corps like the Cavaliers can't find 2 or 3 (at the most) qualified full-time guard instructors to go on tour for 11 weeks?  You're probably more connected than I am on the running of a modern Drum Corps, but I just find that very odd.

Our guard was self-taught except for bringing in Stanley Knaub for a couple weeks a season and they did just fine.  Completely different eras and styles - I understand - but something seems out-of-whack to use 13.  But if they're UNPAID interns.....then no problemo. 

Drum corps employment as "full time" is generally reserved for admin people, who don't work 7 days a week the way instructional staffs do on the road. Besides,  "full time employees" with 11 weeks of 7-day-a-week, 14-hour-days would open up a whole can of worms from an employment law standpoint. 

As noted, the staffs rotate out. The staff members who are much in demand with bands can often only afford a few weeks of the summer to be on the road, and not necessarily sequentially. It's not mom and pop weekend drum corps anymore. 

5 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

I would do it. They would have to force me to go home. 

I mean, I do bleed kelly green.

Your critters would miss you madly.