Advice for making a Drumline

Hello everyone! I am new on this website but I just wanted to make a post to ask for some advice.

Over the past couple of months I've been hit with a wave of inspiration to march DCI when I get out of high school. I'm currently a quad player at my high school. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice for what I should be preparing for right now so I can be ready for auditions and what not. I also wanted to ask: is it possible to do DCI and High School at the same time? Or College and DCI? 

Thanks.

Yes and Yes!  Go for it. Audition now and they will assist you in making improvements for your next audition. You never know until you try.

You may want to consider a lower level corps for your first audition.

• Thanks 1

Download more than one corps audition packet. 

You can google many of the old ones, and download them, FOR FREE.  So download, practice, practice some more,  and also practice being MUSICAL with them.   

Find your favorite recordings, and try to play along.  heck, you can find transcriptions online, as well as youtube.   

good luck. have fun. dont stress.  

go practice. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I've discussed this with my parents a little, basically they see DCI like joining the Circus, except it's ridiculously expensive and evidently sets you back in life. They are not willing to help pay for anything, if I want to march I have to pay for it myself.

I just wanted to ask what financial assistance is available out there, like are there scholarships for DCI or something? How is a kid under 21 supposed to pay for Drum Corps without their parents helping?

On 9/28/2023 at 10:57 AM, zackattack07 said:

I've discussed this with my parents a little, basically they see DCI like joining the Circus, except it's ridiculously expensive and evidently sets you back in life. They are not willing to help pay for anything, if I want to march I have to pay for it myself.

I just wanted to ask what financial assistance is available out there, like are there scholarships for DCI or something? How is a kid under 21 supposed to pay for Drum Corps without their parents helping?

Try DCA, that’s the route I’m planning on going. Drum corps experience for >1000

• Like 2

On 9/28/2023 at 11:57 AM, zackattack07 said:

So yes you can do DCI and HS or college. @C.Holland is 100% on point as usual. Download packets, go to camps, learn things. I did DCI in HS into college but that as in the 80s. I came back to march DCA starting in 2005. It was A BLAST.

DCA is a fantastic introduction to DCI. Much lower time and monetary commitment and still some fantastic instruction (example: my caption head in DCA had instructed at Cavies and PR.) As far as financial assistance in DCI (or DCA,) there are scholarships opportunities available and different corps will typically have different ways that you can reduce the amount of members dues you owe. If you don't want to go that route, then spend a summer practicing and working (saving) in preparation for corps. 

One way to maybe help get your parents on board is to start with a question. What has their exposure been to DCI? If it has just been you hyping DCI, then they aren't really necessarily getting the full picture. Have they been to an experience camp or family day? Have they gone to DCI's webpage or even YouTube and watched the intro videos or read the articles for non-mm's? There is a LOT of information out there. Now let's also be transparent: DCI or DCA is not going to get through college quicker etc. Will it help with key components of a degree program, of course. But be realistic in how you present the experience. 

Most rookies will tell you that they learned more their first summer in DCI or even DCA than they learned in a full year of college. You're getting some of the best instruction in the world, playing along side of elite players who push you to be the best, performing far more frequently under pressure and learning responsibility on a level that is difficult to reproduce outside of drum corps or the military band programs. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Thanks 1

Depends where you live. There’s DCI All Age, Open Class, and even Soundsport. 

here’s the real secret, from someone who marched a few years, taught in both dci and dca, and now plays music for money. 

anywhere you start, will teach you the fundamentals. Body movement, musicality, technique… but only YOU can have the drive to put in the time at home. On your own.  You need to be self motivated to be a great performer. And you need to be self policing to get better. (This is true before auditioning as well as years after you’ve aged out) Whether it’s taping yourself and listening/watching it, practicing the same thing way down tempo until it becomes muscle memory, planning your practice time down to the minute to cover all aspects of technique, musicality, new phrases… etc.  it’s up to you. 

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 11:57 AM, zackattack07 said:

Well. Welcome to the age where nothing is free for the corps, so those costs are passed back onto you.  You can do what so many others do, and go find a job.  Yes it stinks. Yes it takes up time you should be practicing, and yes, handling customers in retail is awful.   Work those sat and Sunday shifts. Work those evenings. Schedule your practice time.  And save your cash. 

very few worthwhile things in life come easily.