SoundSport

What happened to SoundSport? Was just checking their events schedule for this year and it is all international events. Has the schedule just not been finalized or is it DOA?

https://soundsport.com/event-schedule/

They at the very least have August Indy events on DCI's website that aren't on Soundsport's, so I'd venture a guess that the website is out-of-date.

• Like 1

I usually attend at least some of SoundSport when I am in Indy. I think the way it is organized now with DrumLine Battle, SoundSport, and the food trucks in the same area works. The first year DrumLine Battle was held at the downtown mall which was a hit or miss, depending on whether you got a good view. SoundSport was held outside of LOS on a very hot day with cement and asphalt that only made it seem hotter. The centralized location and casual atmosphere works at least logistically.

The problem with SoundSport as I see it is what is it trying to accomplish and what is DCI doing to help accomplish the goals? Allentown often has SoundSport units. The venue is too large, the groups are often too small. Very few people watch and one year, many people didn’t know anything was happening on the field. In Indy you have alumni corps, corps with few members, brass ensembles, groups that are more theatrical than musical, one year I saw a multi generational Chinese family performing with traditional instruments which were string and percussion. The groups had talent and did their best to entertain, but how do tradition ensembles, vocalists, or theatrical groups grow drum corps? 

Better organization and categories might help. I think there are enough people involved with DCI  could make this happen. Personally I say bring back the parade.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I usually attend at least some of SoundSport when I am in Indy. I think the way it is organized now with DrumLine Battle, SoundSport, and the food trucks in the same area works. The first year DrumLine Battle was held at the downtown mall which was a hit or miss, depending on whether you got a good view. SoundSport was held outside of LOS on a very hot day with cement and asphalt that only made it seem hotter. The centralized location and casual atmosphere works at least logistically.

The problem with SoundSport as I see it is what is it trying to accomplish and what is DCI doing to help accomplish the goals? Allentown often has SoundSport units. The venue is too large, the groups are often too small. Very few people watch and one year, many people didn’t know anything was happening on the field. In Indy you have alumni corps, corps with few members, brass ensembles, groups that are more theatrical than musical, one year I saw a multi generational Chinese family performing with traditional instruments which were string and percussion. The groups had talent and did their best to entertain, but how do tradition ensembles, vocalists, or theatrical groups grow drum corps? 

Better organization and categories might help. I think there are enough people involved with DCI  could make this happen. Personally I say bring back the parade.

100% agree w/ parade

I always loved the parade, but does it draw enough interest to warrant the effort & expense of putting it on?

If I'm not mistaken, one of the reasons it went away was the costs of securing the proper permit and providing the necessary security/police coverage for the event.  I can't imagine those costs would be any less today when you take into consideration what happened in Waukesha and Highland Park.