Ghosting is no way to run a corps

With the SCV news, here's another corps that will not be performing at DCI Quarterfinals this year. You've heard of the Louisiana Stars? Up and coming Open Class corps that I've felt could make the next competitive move and be a World Class Semifinalist as Guardians accomplished last year.

In checking the dci website out of curiosity, I noticed there are a dozen Open Class corps signed up for Championships. What caught my eye was a corps called Eclipse from Indianapolis entered that was not shown the last time I check the entries. (Was there an announcement about this new corps? I did not locate their name on entry lists for any other Open class shows.)  Remembering there were a dozen corps the last time I looked, that meant someone was missing. Who was it?

Aha, Louisiana Stars. A check of the Open Class forum shows them seeking a Director several months back. Otherwise, nothing. Reddit has a couple of threads from potential members but nobody had heard anything from them. It's as if the corps just disappeared into the ether. Even if folding or taking a year off, just disappearing from the landscape is no way to run a corps. This type of move alone is indicative of a clueless Board on a number of levels.

Finally, if we're cutting costs, I have to ask what's the financial justification for having a dozen OC corps have a Prelims to eliminate nobody, then perform again the following night? DCI could do a seeding based on prior OC shows (with Eclipse going on first if there are no other shows for them), and make it a one shot deal.

Edited by wolfgang

I have seen discussions on Reddit that suggest Louisiana Stars are not competing in 2023.

Also on Reddit was post about new Indy Corps Eclipse, which indeed is on Open Class prelim schedule.

There are 2 other potential new Corps out there - Gems from Boise ID, and Zephyrus fro the Tulsa OK area.  Zyphryus performed at Broken Arrow show last year on Flo; I was seriously impressed.  Brass (~20) played with extreme confidence, and projected well without blasting.  Whomever is teaching their brass knows what they are doing.  

IDK if either unit is planning to go to Indy.

Just noticed on DCI's Webpage that Louisiana Stars is no longer on the Open Class Corps list of Corps. 🙁

If all the open class corps actually went to Indy this year, prelims would make sense. The problem is most of these corps are feeling the squeeze from the last few years and are making financially-informed decisions to save resources so that in the future they can make the trip. Changing the process now will only necessitate changing it back if/when those corps start making the trip out. Why not instead give the corps making the trip the extra show that does have folks show up and watch and gives OC corps a chance to fine tune leading into Finals?

Likewise, we don't know if Louisiana Stars are really dead, it's just all signs and member word of mouth point towards them not fielding this year. For all we know, they could be back at it next year.

Also, there is an open class discussions page.

I swear I saw something mentioned about the Stars being in potential danger here in the WC forum not long ago. Regardless, that's so sad. They did have some nice potential. Hoping they can bounce back. 

10 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I swear I saw something mentioned about the Stars being in potential danger here in the WC forum not long ago. Regardless, that's so sad. They did have some nice potential. Hoping they can bounce back. 

yeah i remember that thread too

14 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said: