Per the California Attorney General Vanguard is operating illegally as a non profit

5 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

My previous post was NOT directed towards you, btw. I very much think what you're doing is to protect vulnerable people and help end that cycle.

I think the biggest concerns among youth based non profits is:

1) Youth based activities attract predators. 

2) Non profits always need to keep tabs on the finances. Where opportunity exists it will absolutely be taken advantage of. 

Where it pertains to Drum Corps:

3) They are behind the standard of both protection of the youth (relative to other organizations with deeper pockets that are learning hard lessons (churches, schools, scouts, etc.....), as well as protecting their finances. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Richard Lesher said:

3) They are behind the standard of both protection of the youth (relative to other organizations with deeper pockets that are learning hard lessons (churches, schools, scouts, etc.....), as well as protecting their finances. 

Was on a church council when we started making changes to protect kids better. Irony was church’s insurance company led us through the steps to cut down on the chances of them having to pay out a huge claim. Double irony was when people who complained were told “insurance costs will go down” there wasn’t a problem. Wondering how much insurance corps pay out for lawsuit protection.

And still would love to know the details of what harassment training (sexual and otherwise) members get. Had it for decades in DoD and lot more to it than “here’s the number to call if it happens to you”. 🤦‍♂️

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mello Dude said:

But it doesn't have to be either of those.  That's the travesty.  The problem when you start dealing in large sums of money you have to be SO careful who is manning the ship as it were.  Non-profits are so hard to do right.

I agree, but (baring total transparency from the Corps/DCI), this is the choice that exists.  

1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I agree, but (baring total transparency from the Corps/DCI), this is the choice that exists.  

You would think.  But the converse is true also.  If lawsuits are pending, there is no way you are getting that.  Also, even with total transparency you get that one person (or small group) that is a complete PITA.  If you live in an HOA you know what I am talking about...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Which leads to the question: is SCV still represented on DCI board since they are not coming out for 2023? 

SCV, like any other full member corps of DCI, would retain their full membership, voting rights and world-class status if they return after a single year hiatus.

For that matter how does DCI decide who is on the board?

These days, the DCI "Board of Directors" is composed of three corps directors, three corps-affiliated people and three people not affiliated with a corps - nine people total.  They are elected, and serve staggered 3-year terms.

The voting membership used to be known as the "board of directors", since almost every corps sent their "director" to represent them at meetings.  They still vote on numerous things, most notably rules.  Membership is essentially the world-class corps, but newly accepted world-class corps do not get full voting rights until they meet all WC requirements for a couple of years.

7 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

So which is worse:

A Corps with sketchy business and member-treatment practices, or

No Corps at all?

yes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow. I take time off and now SCV is in even deeper ####? Yikes. 

And from what very little I know of financial law…screw around with the IRS and add on some wire fraud and you’re f’d. They’ll never recover. Wouldn’t be surprised at arrests and jail time. 

3 hours ago, phd-student-TTU said:

Wouldn’t be surprised at arrests and jail time. 

Been wondering about that, too. Then again, accountability in anything these days is pretty rare. 

• Like 1