Per the California Attorney General Vanguard is operating illegally as a non profit

Maybe. But there's also a whole professional field dedicated to raising funds for non profits (off the golf course.)

Some call it Advancement, others Development. Others Donor Cultivation.

And they don't just get the money rolling cause the flood gates stay open naturally forever. It's a profession for a reason. Because donor cultivation requires constant attention and care. Constant communication and synchrony with other departments in the non profit. Constant pats on the backs of donors who want them and constant, painstaking hoops to jump through for big corporate donors who will easily take their demands to the next non profit who can meet them better than you. The work is constant.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
gulf courses and food gates
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Achilles said:

That's quite some list. It would seem clear that Inspire/BC have a trained np professional on their staff, especially considering much of their corporate giving is, if I had to guess, one-time donations (made on an annual basis), and requiring recurring solicitations in order to sustain that giving year over year. Certainly there are skills there for the corps to learn; it's probably not easy to hire, or contract for, that kind of support. I have to ask if DCI in any way promotes the dissemination of this kind of knowledge amongst the corps?

There have been multiple instances since 2016 of the Inspire BOD meeting with other drum corps' BODs to share strategies and best practices.  Some of our BOD members have traveled to do this, sometimes they have hosted others,  and naturally ZOOM meetings are an option.  The other BOD's identities would surprise some. Just because these discussions aren't publicized doesn't mean they don't happen. 

Also it's not like Boston discovered fire here. They're following the conventional np playbook and succeeding accordingly.

There are professionals, books, workshops, educational institutions, grants, fellowships, etc dedicated to teaching others how to fund a np following the conventions. This info isn't buried, in the case that a np doesn't want any help and to do it entirely on their own.

Edited by scheherazadesghost

12 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Also it's not like Boston discovered fire here. 

Did you not see their props in 2017-18? 

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Also it's not like Boston reinvented the wheel here. They're following the conventional np playbook and succeeding accordingly.

There are professionals, books, workshops, educational institutions, grants, fellowships, etc dedicated to teaching others how to fund a np following the conventions. This info isn't buried, in the case that a np doesn't want any help and to do it entirely on their own.

Another factor that helps with BAC’s BOD success is its unusual size for a BOD.  It is quite large with over 40 members.  This enables unavoidable visibility of its function.  It is quite diverse in talent and skills as well as personal successes of each member.  There is much to draw on, to IAM’s and BAC’s benefit as well as the other groups IAM supports.

• Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Another factor that helps with BAC’s BOD success is its unusual size for a BOD.  It is quite large with over 40 members.  This enables unavoidable visibility of its function.  It is quite diverse in talent and skills as well as personal successes of each member.  There is much to draw on, to IAM’s and BAC’s benefit as well as the other groups IAM supports.

I wouldn't normally recommend such a large board but it appears to be working and I'm under the impression that Boston underwent an arduous process to arrive there.

But again, if y'all have offered help and it falls on deaf ears, more power to you in-competition.

14 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Did you not see their props in 2017-18? 

Naw, I was still ducking the industry back then. I am, however, glad they were able to put the fire out. 💦

• Haha 1

On 5/13/2023 at 10:16 PM, craiga said:

Just this week, the Boston Crusaders released the list of their corporate sponsors on the FB page, so I suppose that there is no harm in mentioning them here.  I should note that I am not on the Inspire BOD, so I claim no credit for these sponsors.   This is a partial list:

Vattikuti Foundation 

Broadside

J P Morgan Chase 

SS & C

State Street Bank

CAE Corp

Fidelity Investments 

James & Cathlee Stone Foundation 

WrkFlws

Accenture

Eaton Vance Investment Mgrs

FiServe

Rockland Bank & Trust 

Aliter Investment Services 

Merrimack Valley Credit Union

Too many to get them all...but Boston has no bingo and contrary to urban myth, there has been no billionaire,  tech giant, or organized crime lord who left them money.  These are the results of the year around hard work bu the 50 member Inspire BOD.

I'm very bullish on Boston's organization right now.

Maybe not my absolute favorite shows and designers, but I RESPECT them.

I have a corps brother whose oldest child is marching there, so I'm going to root for them hard, BUT I'm also rooting for Bluecoats because he has the youngest child marching there.

That being said, Santa Clara absolutely should have been trying to work this angle in the Bay area. I believe that Blue Devils have done this there at least some, and they've gotten performance opportunities for BDE in the past, and who knows what else.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, craiga said:

Just this week, the Boston Crusaders released the list of their corporate sponsors on the FB page, so I suppose that there is no harm in mentioning them here.  I should note that I am not on the Inspire BOD, so I claim no credit for these sponsors.   This is a partial list:

Vattikuti Foundation 

Broadside

J P Morgan Chase 

SS & C

State Street Bank

CAE Corp

Fidelity Investments 

James & Cathlee Stone Foundation 

WrkFlws

Accenture

Eaton Vance Investment Mgrs

FiServe

Rockland Bank & Trust 

Aliter Investment Services 

Merrimack Valley Credit Union

Too many to get them all...but Boston has no bingo and contrary to urban myth, there has been no billionaire,  tech giant, or organized crime lord who left them money.  These are the results of the year around hard work bu the 50 member Inspire BOD.

Our marching band booster lists every donation >$1, the majority of those from parents who work at companies that offer matching donations and volunteer grants. 

52 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

That being said, Santa Clara should absolutely should have been trying to work this angle in the Bay area. I believe that Blue Devils have done this there at least some, and they've gotten performance opportunities for BDE in the past, and who knows what else.

Incidentally the majority of BD's donors in the >$1K range are individuals or foundations.

• Thanks 2