Per the California Attorney General Vanguard is operating illegally as a non profit

5 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

💯 I know the ones of which you speak and I know my comment probably read like I was directing it at you. Apologies, I wasn't. It was directed at the crowd who can't distinguish the two kinds of critique and jump to defend her no matter what.

Have been thinking of ranking corps by the movement techniques displayed by their colorguards this season for this very purpose.

For the record she has a dance degree and danced professionally for many years, plus her extensive guard experience. I would say she's more qualified than the vast majority.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

For the record she has a dance degree and danced professionally for many years, plus her extensive guard experience. I would say she's more qualified than the vast majority.

I have two dance degrees (one of them is a terminal degree) focused on pedagogy and movement invention, have taught dance and dance theory at TWU, Denison U, Ohio U and others, as well as danced professionally. On top of my dance non profit leadership creds and a legacy signature solo drum corps performance.

I'll agree that she's more qualified than the majority. But she's either not teaching her members to point their feet (something I teach toddlers how to do) or she's not being given the time she needs to do so.

Either way, members are getting injured and the buck stops with the movement coaches. None of this would matter if I hadn't seen the injuries myself, in person last season.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
clarification

15 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I have two dance degrees (one of them is a terminal degree) focused on pedagogy and movement invention, have taught dance and dance theory at TWU, Denison U, Ohio U and others, as well as danced professionally. On top of my dance non profit leadership creds and a legacy signature solo drum corps performance.

I'll agree that she's more qualified than the majority. But she's either not teaching her members to point their feet (something I teach toddlers how to do) or she's not being given the time she needs to do so.

Either way, members are getting injured and the buck stops with the movement coaches. None of this would matter if I hadn't seen the injuries myself, in person last season.

What’s a terminal degree?

Asks the Computer Science major who only arts experience was MB and DC

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

What’s a terminal degree?

Asks the Computer Science major who only arts experience was MB and DC

👍🏽

A terminal degree is the highest level advanced degree awarded in a field of study. It's the level of degree needed to teach in most universities as a professor and go tenure-track. In the academic field of dance there are two, the MFA (for studio practice, 2-3 years) and PhD (for research, 3+ years.) I earned mine from one of the few universities in the world that maintains both tracks, just blocks away from UNT's excellent music program. I chose to become a professional dancer because I wanted to learn how to prevent the colorguard injuries and poor colorguard teaching practices I endured.

If a person with a terminal degree in music were here arguing that poor musician technique was injuring members, this group would listen to them.

Same thing here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well. Degree + reasonableness of the argument, which you satisfy both, will typically carry the day here. 

Then there’s the Juilliard grad who made that epic critique of the musicality of SCV 2018 that was just WILD in its claims. 🤣

I still lose it when that pops up from time to time because I’ll read it with fresh eyes and get to that line where he was saying there are NO discernible memorable melodies (or something like that) and the drop hit from My Body Is A Cage booms in my head in refutation. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

👍🏽

A terminal degree is the highest level advanced degree awarded in a field of study. It's the level of degree needed to teach in most universities as a professor and go tenure-track. In the academic field of dance there are two, the MFA (for studio practice, 2-3 years) and PhD (for research, 3+ years.) I earned mine from one of the few universities in the world that maintains both tracks, just blocks away from UNT's excellent music program. I chose to become a professional dancer because I wanted to learn how to prevent the colorguard injuries and poor colorguard teaching practices I endured.

If a person with a terminal degree in music were here arguing that poor musician technique was injuring members, this group would listen to them.

Same thing here.

Thanks, never heard the term before 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Well. Degree + reasonableness of the argument, which you satisfy both, will typically carry the day here.

curtsie.exe

15 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Then there’s the Juilliard grad who made that epic critique of the musicality of SCV 2018 that was just WILD in its claims. 🤣

I still lose it when that pops up from time to time because I’ll read it with fresh eyes and get to that line where he was saying there are NO discernible memorable melodies (or something like that) and the drop hit from My Body Is A Cage booms in my head in refutation. 

I thought that review was hilarious. As well as the subsequent argument that ensued. 🍿 But to be fair, I could probably point out unsafe technique at Vanguard from any year you put in front of me, so they're not off the hook for that.

But yeah, I don't use my experience to negatively criticize the aesthetics of drum corps shows. That's like using chop sticks to cut a well-done steak. (The one time I commented on BD's choreographic aesthetic it didn't go well, valid as my point was.)

Trying to use it primarily to diminish injuries. Pointing one's feet only appears aesthetic on the surface, but it's actually training for safe jumping and landing technique. And it's foundational in the techniques colorguards are attempting to teach. Pair poor technique with cement or linoleum floors and poof, you get injuries.

I don't like any corps' colorguard to have unsafe technique. Imma point it out hard when it's happening in my home corps tho.

Sooooo, how’s the SCV repair work going?  Any updates from the leadership?  Is there leadership?  Is there a functional revamped BOD ?  I’m sensing 2024 isn’t happening.  Is there Bingo #2 (aka The Savior) happening?  It has been very quiet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Sooooo, how’s the SCV repair work going?  Any updates from the leadership?  Is there leadership?  Is there a functional revamped BOD ?  I’m sensing 2024 isn’t happening.  Is there Bingo #2 (aka The Savior) happening?  It has been very quiet.

I'll be suppressing info or opinions of my own outside of the recent public comuniques that came from VMAPA or VAA proper.  Not doing so previously has put me in the dog house.

They are out of debt because of unexpectedly high bingo revenue. Active fundraising is paused, but they will happily still accept unsolicited donations.

The whole apparatus is trucking along under the assumption that 24 is happening. We're about a month out from DCI's requested go/no go deadline. It will likely be radio silence until then aside from the official comuniques.

Edited by scheherazadesghost

52 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I'll be suppressing info or opinions of my own outside of the recent public comuniques that came from VMAPA or VAA proper.  Not doing so previously has put me in the dog house.

They are out of debt because of unexpectedly high bingo revenue. Active fundraising is paused, but they will happily still accept unsolicited donations.

The whole apparatus is trucking along under the assumption that 24 is happening. We're about a month out from DCI's requested go/no go deadline. It will likely be radio silence until then aside from the official comuniques.

I'd take unexpectedly high bingo revenue as a good thing. And if people want to donate, they can donate as long as they aren't actively soliciting, then based on just some assumptions on what's been displayed online regarding CA's regulations, then they aren't doing anything wrong on that front until things are in order. 

I don't see how you can't operate under the assumption that 24 is happening. Anything but spells the ultimate demise of the organization.