Per the California Attorney General Vanguard is operating illegally as a non profit

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

165 is a number of mm’s you CAN go to, but you don’t have to.  Some corps that had 165 last year, and could have 165 this year, may go back to 154 (ish) and save some money.  Every little bit saved helps and does show some fiscal restraint/responsibility.

I asked this before but no answer. What is the minimum number of members a corps needs to be allowed to compete? Thought a rule was passed year or so ago that corps just starting out or re-activating had to have a larger number. (Which is idiotic for my experience with a corps that re-activated)

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I asked this before but no answer. What is the minimum number of members a corps needs to be allowed to compete? Thought a rule was passed year or so ago that corps just starting out or re-activating had to have a larger number. (Which is idiotic for my experience with a corps that re-activated)

Based on Policy 216.1 of the DCI Manual... The minimum number of members for Open Class is 50 members, and the minimum number for World Class is 110.  The DCI Board of Directors can grant exceptions to these rules at its discretion.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Presence

1. No swearing in your uniform at all. This is out of respect for the people who wore the uniform before you and did the same thing. They are watching you all the time.
  2. snipped
  3. Don’t swear in your corps jacket around [sic] other SCV people.

Responsibilities as a corps member

1. RUN! SCV is known for being a very intense and hard working corps. Run to your sets because they mean something to you. Run because you want to make it better the next time around. Run because that’s ‘The Way’.
  2. Know when talking is appropriate on the field. If there is any question of that in your mind than [sic] keep your mouth shut.
  3. If you have a serious problem with an instructor, take it to your drum major. If harsh language is your problem, join the real world and GET OVER IT! You are not always going to be patted on the back and told how great you are in your lives to come. If there is one thing the corps will teach you, it is how to perform under pressure. Rise above; listen to the message, not the words.

I can't be the only one that sees an incredible amount of hypocrisy here.  The MM's can't swear in uniform or in the corps jacket, but the instructors, many of whom I would guess ARE SCV ALUMNI are allowed to instruct using "harsh language"???

Edited by Tenoris4Jazz
clipped more to make it visible
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

When the game is made up and the points don't matter, it's easy to manipulate. Been away from drum corps too long to know if this directly applies, but if it doesn't, then it's certainly fertile ground for such. It's a big reason why the competition aspect bores me so.  Always has.

And I've always been curious about Vanguard's role in the G8. Lots of turnover during that time, I think,  though so probably difficult to tell.

Despite recent commentary, and including official and unofficial info out there, I'm still holding out hope for a solid comeback at some point. And again, the org is too, so they're really good liars if the last page of the thread is to be believed.

some of what ended up being presented and leaked publicly was agreed to by all. a lot of it was one  person

• Thanks 1

Love that their code of conduct doesn't seem to have changed much in the past 50+ years.  It's was part of their mystique and also what made them hard to beat.  Also, love the part about running to your spot between sets, but they forgot "and then stand at attention

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LabMaster said:

165 is a number of mm’s you CAN go to, but you don’t have to.  Some corps that had 165 last year, and could have 165 this year, may go back to 154 (ish) and save some money.  Every little bit saved helps and does show some fiscal restraint/responsibility.

right. everyone says it fills the busses. bus fees are the same no matter how many are on it. but a members tour fees at the top levels covers maybe 50% of their cost. so was it really saving money?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

It's more efficient and more poetic than other descriptions available when I marched...

‘The Way’

<<SNIP>>

Wow. So much for the KISS principle. When I marched SCV (1984), the only conceptual dogma about being SCV was “Excellence is a Choice,” and it wasn’t written down.

Literally everything else followed from that. It was LIFE.

Granted, I do recall common sense vet discussions about behavior in uniform, but again, never written down. I just thought “duh” and moved on. Silliest to me was no running in uniform lol. Ok, ok, I’ll just quickly “low walk” (legit technique BITD). 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Love that their code of conduct doesn't seem to have changed much in the past 50+ years.  It's was part of their mystique and also what made them hard to beat.  Also, love the part about running to your spot between sets, but they forgot "and then stand at attention

Well, I must say that your Corps was legendary as well.  

This wasn't ever our code of conduct. It's word salad masquerading as such that inexperienced leadership passed down without questioning some of the contents. Don't get me started on what was said about the pyramids. :34_rolling_eyes:

And guaranteed that the standing at attention was implied, as you can't put a show like 03 on the field without the utmost attention and care for every single rep. Anyway, if you followed the cymbals' example, as I did, you got back to your set faster than everyone else so you could add in a few extra pushups before the next rep.

Do we also love the part about committing to the corps before you commit to eating your lunch bc the corps is way more important than food?

Edit: second time I've been censored in this thread alone... for the record only.

Edited by scheherazadesghost