Per the California Attorney General Vanguard is operating illegally as a non profit

On 5/28/2023 at 10:31 PM, DudleytheWest said:

It just baffles me that lower tier corps vote against their own interests repeatedly. Granted I am assuming they have votes and power, I really don't know. So please correct/educate me here.

No... voting power is another one of those things that flow preferentially to the top.  Even world-class status is not enough... it takes 2 or 3 years of operating successfully in WC before a corps gets full membership and the voting rights that go with it.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

No... voting power is another one of those things that flow preferentially to the top.  Even world-class status is not enough... it takes 2 or 3 years of operating successfully in WC before a corps gets full membership and the voting rights that go with it.  

It's not just operating successfully that's required, although there are a bunch of financial targets and good governance practices that must be met.  There's also a competitive element where they have to place in the top 25 two consecutive years (not hard right now, but still places competitiveness into the mix), and also a vote by current member corps with two-thirds approval.  

Also interesting to note that the "Pioneer" rule is now written into the policy handbook where a membership corps that places outside of the top 25 in three consecutive seasons is placed "under review".  A vote among membership corps at the next meeting will determine if they remain members, or move down to the "participant" level.

• Like 2

On 5/30/2023 at 12:17 AM, 84BDsop said:

And then there was 84 prelims.....

Ah yes, the “let’s give away the title” memorial run because someone failed at their ONE job— keeping track of time. The ‘82 vets around me definitely swore in uniform when GR’s voice shrieked over the walkie-talkie. Hilarious times…not. 

11 hours ago, TRacer said:

Ah yes, the “let’s give away the title” memorial run because someone failed at their ONE job— keeping track of time. The ‘82 vets around me definitely swore in uniform when GR’s voice shrieked over the walkie-talkie. Hilarious times…not. 

What happened?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

And here it is...enjoy!  (TRacer....sorry about the flashback!)

— The Prelims Disaster: SCV gives away the title in an astounding lapse in elementary timekeeping.

It was raining hard, yes. Back in those days  it wasn’t uncommon to have staff carry powerful CB walkie talkies as ours did. We were standing in two lines under cover with Aussies on trying to wait out the rain, and I had the misfortune of being ten feet from a staff member with the radio. GR came on:

”Where ARE you???”

Reply: ”We’re at (name of street)....over.”

What followed was a banshee shriek from the radio. GR went utterly ballistic on the staff, so much so the one holding the radio turned white. We were supposed to have been at the gate 15 minutes prior, and now we were very very very late. 

Steve, an ‘82 baritone vet who had participated in the “Run Down the McGill University Ramp” when SCV was late to Prelims in ‘82, broke the silence: “Oh no....oh SH—!! Not AGAIN!!” A lot of us hadn’t marched SCV ‘82 but were in the stands at McGill that year and witnessed that run down the ramp, and we knew what he meant. It meant we were screwed with a capital S. We were still blocks from the gate. No white pants magic to “save” us. Everyone panicked, staff included. 

We “almost ran” as fast as our equipment allowed (poor contras!) to the gate and were out of breath when we got there. The gates were thrown open and in we went, all pell mell and spooked. I remember being two steps over the back sideline (baris and FHs formed the columns off the 50) when Brandt announced we had one minute. The audience could sense something was really wrong as well and the meek soprano entrance set the stage for that god awful performance. It was the worst show of the year for most of us and we lost Nationals then & there. 

The staff took full responsibility for the debacle and apologized to us when we got back to our housing site. Tim Salzmann brought us back from the abyss of despair with one of the best off-the-cuff motivational speeches, and we barely slept that night. “I am standing in front of the first drum corps that is going to go from 4th in Prelims to 1st at Finals,” and we believed every word. My understanding is that our last run through before Finals was considered far superior by parents and observers who were there versus our Finals run, and we kept it close.

• Thanks 5

To bring this back on topic for a moment:

"Financial Statement prepared by an Outside Accounting Firm (Financial Audit or Financial Review as required by your governing state)" is one of the responsibilities of a DCI World Class Member corps, as listed in the DCI Policies and Procedures Manual.

More from that same manual:

Organizational Review Triggers

If the CEO and/or DCI board of directors believes an organizational review is in order, one may be requested. CEO and/or board will have the authority to request:

• Organization documents
• Financial statements
• Meetings with board members, staff members, volunteers, members, etc…

Possible Review Triggers (not an inclusive list)

• Owe money to DCI that is more than 60 days past due
• Submission to DCI whistleblower that merits investigation
• Contact by one or more third parties about past due bills
• Any incident or report that may involve jeopardizing the health and safety of members, volunteers, or staff
• Signed request by five member representatives for an audit of an organization

Troopers had their DCI membership revoked back in 2005 over compliance issues.  One would think the SCV situation would at least merit a review.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

To bring this back on topic for a moment:

"Financial Statement prepared by an Outside Accounting Firm (Financial Audit or Financial Review as required by your governing state)" is one of the responsibilities of a DCI World Class Member corps, as listed in the DCI Policies and Procedures Manual.

More from that same manual:

Organizational Review Triggers

If the CEO and/or DCI board of directors believes an organizational review is in order, one may be requested. CEO and/or board will have the authority to request:

• Organization documents
• Financial statements
• Meetings with board members, staff members, volunteers, members, etc…

Possible Review Triggers (not an inclusive list)

• Owe money to DCI that is more than 60 days past due
• Submission to DCI whistleblower that merits investigation
• Contact by one or more third parties about past due bills
• Any incident or report that may involve jeopardizing the health and safety of members, volunteers, or staff
• Signed request by five member representatives for an audit of an organization

Troopers had their DCI membership revoked back in 2005 over compliance issues.  One would think the SCV situation would at least merit a review.

I would hope DCI requires such review. SCV, like Troopers, were also a founding member of DCI, so as you indicated, the precedent is there - rules must be applied consistently.   And, SCV should also be required to remove all leadership that got them into this state, including those who are enabled any member abuse before they are allowed back into the fold.    As I said in a related thread - DCI needs to Pioneer SCV.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 1