BOA Bans Ensemble Amplification. Is DCI next?

I thought I should add an addendum to all that I've written on this subject, as this is a drum corps forum...

I have never considered that DCI has ever been in a situation where they were trying to get field instrumentation to cheat in the way BOA is suggesting is happening at the high school level. Even the one time I did point out where BD used an effect, I have no way of knowing whether that was ok'd by some higher-ups, or whatever the case was. I do not think that they would have risked a penalty, so it's not something I have *ever* believed was in the competitive DNA of DCI.

If I were advising the rules at DCI, I'd still remove microphone movement, automation of reinforcement, and tweak the sampling rules to ensure legal compliance, etc., but those are things I believe would make the general product better -- and not because of any foul play. In the prior posts, I wanted to show how these and other changes could protect the integrity of competition for BOA.

Cheers.

On 5/14/2023 at 11:43 PM, drumcat said:

First, shout to Fred and 1whoknows, and for anyone who read that thing. Sorry it was not proofread, so it may have been rough.

I read it. oof

To answer your question Jeff, it's critical to point out what you're enforcing. I didn't want to get heavily into the rules because the permutations can get a bit ugly. Thus, let's keep them a bit generic:

The main cheat: hiding

What BOA is calling out is that musicians on the field are being "hidden" by the playing of others, mimicking a better result to the box. I'm sure this handcuffs judges bound to the press box. It's why DCI has had field-level judging for so long -- you can't get away with it.

you can't tell from the box. you're jusging your sheet. you're not there to enforce rules. So how does BOA enforce it?

That said, the way you can eliminate this cheating *easily* is by eliminating all wireless microphones. You can be a bit more specific, but you can begin to impinge on creativity. If I recall, the pit box is 15ft for BOA. So you can set a rule that says all reinforcement must be done within the Pit Box or the 15ft on the field. Or you can enforce it by saying that all members that are not in the Pit may not wear any electronics or have anything other than an analog instrument on the field. To me, the subtleties are too much. Despite the problems with some creativity, I'd draw that line and be wired-only. It also tends to be higher quality, no latency, and little chance of frequency interference. Most of those issues are negligible anymore, but you can't march with a wired mic. That problem gets solved.

show me once the activity rescinded a rule after vocals in the 80's. Mics can be hidden in a costume/uniform. Gonna strip search every kid?

Other cheats:

Frequency or digital signal processing

This one's a bit more difficult. As you'll recall it's a rarity - it happened with BD, and they weren't called out for it, but I cannot think of any time where this has been an issue and a broken rule. In DCI, it would be permitted now from what I understand. If you were working to prevent this sort of thing, you can't outside of saying "don't".

DCI changed it right after to make it legal. problem solved

"Reinforcement of any instrument or voice is not allowed to alter the analog playing properties upon its amplification. An exception is allowed for equalisation in order to preserve the effectiveness of reinforcing the original sound."

If this is done in conjunction with the mics-in-box and wired-only mics, the only consideration you might see pushed is base or chipmunk stuff just as BD did with human voice. I wouldn't expect a repeat of that.

it'd never pass.

The tricky part - bass guitars

We can't go without calling out Thundergoo. While this is obviously a LONG-running discussion, thunder goo doesn't exactly fall under what I'd call "cheating". 50 clarinets and 1 bass guitar, and you ask "how loud should it be?" That is essentially "how long is a piece of string?" It really would need to be a judged decision. Thunder goo is not 51 clarinets with one loud and 50 quiet; they are different instruments. The fact that an electric guitar (or synth, or sample) gets played isn't necessarily right or wrong. If an ensemble is making up for a lack of low brass, is it within their purview to do this? In BOA, I'd be really careful because of the nature of high schools, etc. In DCI WC, you have the brass, so it becomes a creative decision. If the sampling rules apply from the other post, I would not allow sampling of instruments that are already being fielded.

IMO goo gets ignored all too often bu judges because of the repercussions and complaints from the groups. And yes due to the challenge of how many instruments/players can shift at the HS level...well....

"All digitally sampled instruments to be used must not be the same or a similar nature to those on the field, nor those traditionally found on a marching band field. For example, a tuba sampler should never be used."

If implemented, it's up to a judge to define whether an electric guitar (that is amplified) is balanced between the ensemble.

see goo

Also, going back to the traditional technique note on the sampler, you would be prohibited from using, let's say a double-bass sampler with a piano-layout keyboard. Thus, you're more pushed towards the traditional electric bass being played by a student.

and who is checking the synth patches/laptops etc to enforce compliance?

On 5/14/2023 at 11:43 PM, drumcat said:

"Digitally sampled instruments should be implemented by a student using an appropriate technique. Thus a percussive sample should be played with a velocity-sensitive pad, a piano sample via a velocity-sensitive keyboard, and so forth. When a digitally sampled instrument is provided for a student, the virtuosity of the student should be maintained through a similar triggering technique."

so one stroke one note, used nowhere but WGI percussion and impossible to truly tell if done that way there.

Then you might say "keytar". If it's a keytar, or a Theramin, or whatever the instrument actually is, play it as it is, physically. The *sample* should be appropriate. What's appropriate for something like a keytar? It's still intended to be an electric guitar sound. The student could play a keytar with that sample set using a velocity-sensitive hardware unit, plugged in to the appropriate amplifier, and judged on its ensemble balance.

But to wrap this, cheating as it's being called out is on the *field*. Eliminating the ability to overbalance through wireless microphones attached to better students is easily stopped by disallowing reinforcement of any traditionally-marched instruments through wireless means.

as a formr field coodinator/T&P guy i answered the big ?'s in bold in the post

15 hours ago, Lead said:

The worst words to hear during rehearsal...

especially finals week

Been giving more thought to some of this. I dislike talking about my background in many ways. But in the last 38+ years, I've likely seen at least 1100 live HS band performances, though never any live serious BoA bands. There are a dearth of them here in PA where I operate from. Only two serious ones, and a few that dabble and head to Towson and end up not embarrassing themselves, but finish about 30-50th percentile of the contestants. Most are smaller organizations. The larger bands are generally Show Bands that Droney Baloney away like many College Bands and like to brag about taking big trips, but never actually have any real substance. One had dancing Tigers (well, kids in costumes...). My Dad was an Alumni and was embarrassed by them. Just my tuppence.

Jeff mentioned how does one catch cheaters... it's not easy, and then the feces hit the impeller if one speaks up. The Chief Judge had (bleep) well better not back down.

I can only think of only one instance where someone was caught red-handed using a sequencer when it was against the rules.. The band's keyboards were hooded by plexiglass constructions... supposedly to keep moisture off them. The performers had to reach in and under to play them... and when the parts got difficult... on went the sequencer and they pretended to play, but not touching the actual keys. You had to be at the right angles to catch it and at the right moments. The Director and his son were bullies, (insert many negative and colorful descriptors) that no one, especially myself had any respect for after they showed a lack of respect for their students... and others. Eventually their asinine and nasty behaviors resulted in a letter from the chief music adjudicator of one circuit sending their Superintendent a letter describing their behaviors. They were gone from that circuit after that kerfluffle. The cat was an embarrassment to anyone in the Music Education Field. A Case study in how not to run your competition band and how not to respect your kids.

As for bands using the electronics to mask the winds... I can think of only one instance where it got really iffy. There have been some smaller bands that rely heavily on the keyboards... but when you have seven Woodwinds and Brass, you have to do something.

As for the comment about "Thunderous Goo" Electric bass... I recall seeing a small band from a smaller town in NW PA where their electric bass player was by far the best musician in the band. Never overplayed, no distorted sounds, but a real honest-to-God musician.

At the BoA level, if that sort of thing shows up, I'm certain the Ensemble Music person will factor that in as a serious separator. It doesn't take very much to fall off the top at that level.

So- Perhaps there are accusations flying behind the scenes at BoA amongst some of the higher-level competitors feeling that someone is using an "unfair advantage", or they're trying to get into some people's heads like Red Bull plays games in F1. No one is happy unless they're winning at that level. Jobs are on the line. 

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and who is checking the synth patches/laptops etc to enforce compliance?

as a formr field coodinator/T&P guy i answered the big ?'s in bold in the post

Hi Jeff,

You cannot ask any judge to make a cheating call from the box. We both know that.

The ensemble cheating can only be tackled by not allowing field instruments to be individually mic'd. End of story. If that's a non-starter, I can always make a senior louder and a freshman not. Marching band has to decide if they want to allow the well-funded bands the chance to cheat, or if they prohibit the obvious temptation. The purpose of shoving a little mic in everyone's bell is literally to have that option. The ethical question is whether you do it equally or not, and no one can tell.

Thus, reinforcement of field instruments individually is always effectively cheating.

No, you don't strip search kids, and dude… you should avoid saying that out loud.

All that needs to happen are some PSAs in the building. Tell the kids:

BOA Prohibits Individual Field Marching instruments with wireless microphones

Xerox that 50 times, tape it up around the buildings. Then every kid knows that if they're wearing a battery pack, they're cheating. Usage is event DQ; no exception. Zero directors would risk it, as it would mean they'd get fired.

As for the sampling stuff, it is difficult. But you knew the WGI rule. One action, one sound, volume range via performer. Have the director of every entering band sign a paper saying that they are in compliance with the rule and concept, and if they violate it they will face disqualification.

If you drop the wirelessly mic'd field instruments, the "cheating" aspects will disappear. If you program a chord onto one note, you're not going to get caught. But if the kids know the rules, it's always unlikely the adults will have them cheat.

Finally, let's consider where we're at.

BOA has found that this is so common or so obnoxious, they've called it out publicly. It violates the spirit of what they're doing. The point is that you don't have to always catch people to be effective. Sometimes, you just have to remove the temptation.

2 hours ago, drumcat said:

Hi Jeff,

You cannot ask any judge to make a cheating call from the box. We both know that.

The ensemble cheating can only be tackled by not allowing field instruments to be individually mic'd. End of story. If that's a non-starter, I can always make a senior louder and a freshman not. Marching band has to decide if they want to allow the well-funded bands the chance to cheat, or if they prohibit the obvious temptation. The purpose of shoving a little mic in everyone's bell is literally to have that option. The ethical question is whether you do it equally or not, and no one can tell.

Thus, reinforcement of field instruments individually is always effectively cheating.

No, you don't strip search kids, and dude… you should avoid saying that out loud.

All that needs to happen are some PSAs in the building. Tell the kids:

BOA Prohibits Individual Field Marching instruments with wireless microphones

Xerox that 50 times, tape it up around the buildings. Then every kid knows that if they're wearing a battery pack, they're cheating. Usage is event DQ; no exception. Zero directors would risk it, as it would mean they'd get fired.

As for the sampling stuff, it is difficult. But you knew the WGI rule. One action, one sound, volume range via performer. Have the director of every entering band sign a paper saying that they are in compliance with the rule and concept, and if they violate it they will face disqualification.

If you drop the wirelessly mic'd field instruments, the "cheating" aspects will disappear. If you program a chord onto one note, you're not going to get caught. But if the kids know the rules, it's always unlikely the adults will have them cheat.

Finally, let's consider where we're at.

BOA has found that this is so common or so obnoxious, they've called it out publicly. It violates the spirit of what they're doing. The point is that you don't have to always catch people to be effective. Sometimes, you just have to remove the temptation.

And those same kids, in the parking lot, in warm-up, when they watch other kids on the field, YouTube videos, etc... will say, "Why are those kids wearing wireless packs?" to their director... and it will get reported.

• Like 1