What Can/Can’t Be Changed to Help

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

It is a bad idea.  My friend down here in Florida, one of the Cadets women in the first article by Tricia Nadolny, was sexually assaulted on the bus at age 16. 

I know several as well who were part of St Tricia of Philly’s investigation (marched college band with them).  All I can say is that I am sorry that this happened to them.  And advocate for changes that will make it nearly impossible for this to happen in future.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Lol my wife said with how much money we are paying for finals week tickets, you best believe we are seeing every corps all three days. She said for these ticket prices the corps should be serenading all of us at the hotels too lol. 

Allow me to piggyback off of this for a moment to address a valid point.  One good thing DCI has done for Open Class is keep the prelims and finals.  That actually gives OC a leg up on WC as we get three guaranteed performances out of a single home base, OC Prelims, OC Finals and WC Prelims.  That's incredibly important on the low end of the ladder.  

I'd honestly like to see a similar show guarantee for WC corps.  Thinking specifically of the Jersey Surfs of the world, it's a lot of travel for potentially one show.  Opening up Semis maybe to top 25 plus all WC corps would give a two-show guarantee, which is better.  In a perfect world, we'd expand the Finals field (especially since there are no broadcasts, CDs or DVDs to "make it on to) and give as many corps as possible an additional show as well.  It sure helps make the trip more feasable for the corps.

MIke

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

actually tv was explained to me several times for one simple reason...show length. look at non streaming tv...commercials how often? not every 17 minutes. like a 39 minute sitcom has 22 minutes of actual show. Price is Right is an hour long, but roughly 44 minutes is the show itself.

as for what the kids pay...in most cases it's still only 50% of the costs, mostly due to housing costs exploding

TV we're too small a market.  Premier League soccer has two 45 (plus extra time) halves, very few commercials, very few stops in play, and has no problem getting airtime.  But its got a viewership that's huge.  Versus our activity. 

Corps operating though... At top 12 level the students pay barely half (hopefully 49% for those of you who know non-profit legalities out there) the overall operating costs, however, as you go down the ranks, that funding % changes.   And open class is nearly all student tuition.  Hence its volatility.  

This season is going to be epic. Probably the best since 2018. Why the whining? The corps certainly are not whining.  The Regionals are virtually sold out. So is Indy. Must be something about the 60 year old senior average age of people on DCP. Seniors always like to complain about something--usually their gallbladder. BTW, I'm 68. 

28 minutes ago, Phantom56 said:

This season is going to be epic. Probably the best since 2018. Why the whining? The corps certainly are not whining.  The Regionals are virtually sold out. So is Indy. Must be something about the 60 year old senior average age of people on DCP. Seniors always like to complain about something--usually their gallbladder. BTW, I'm 68. 

So if things are going good then don’t bother thinking of ways to make it better? Was the point of the original post.

Some see things as problems and some see as chance for improvement. But have to recognize/admit the issues in order to improve them.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Phantom56 said:

Might be anecdotal, but my European friends who live in the U.S. and in Europe claim Americans complain about EVERYTHING.

They might be on to something. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Phantom56 said:

The Regionals are virtually sold out. So is Indy.  

Couldn't  this have something to do with the fact that there's a shorter season and less shows overall ?

Then again, don't the Regionals and Indy pretty much sell out

every year ?

Be more interesting to see attendance at the smaller, more local  shows, but I don't know if that's published anywhere.

4 hours ago, MikeN said:

Allow me to piggyback off of this for a moment to address a valid point.  One good thing DCI has done for Open Class is keep the prelims and finals.  That actually gives OC a leg up on WC as we get three guaranteed performances out of a single home base, OC Prelims, OC Finals and WC Prelims.  That's incredibly important on the low end of the ladder.  

I'd honestly like to see a similar show guarantee for WC corps.  Thinking specifically of the Jersey Surfs of the world, it's a lot of travel for potentially one show.  

That will fix itself soon, if the attrition continues.