What Can/Can’t Be Changed to Help

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Jim said one corps has ST for 43 days.  Is that true? How many days is the actual season? 

Boston is in VT for 1st official day of ST today.  1st show is July 1 ( but Concert In The Park performance before then) so in VT for +/- 33 days.  Season is 43 days.  Very quick season.  18 shows before Indy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Does placeholder closers count as incomplete shows?

IDK.  Not sure I like the idea of placeholder closers.  Not sure when these became standard procedure.  Back when I marched, you only changed things if what you were doing originally didn't work (see 76 Madison for an extreme example, but there are others.  82 27 Lancers comes to mind).  But I may just be especially grumpy today.

But, if a Corps has 43 days of ST (yes, Cadets, I'm looking at you) they better come out the other end in solid, mid-season form, scoring in the mid 80s.  Otherwise, why waste all this time & money on 43 days of ST?

1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

IDK.  Not sure I like the idea of placeholder closers.  Not sure when these became standard procedure.  Back when I marched, you only changed things if what you were doing originally didn't work (see 76 Madison for an extreme example, but there are others.  82 27 Lancers comes to mind).  But I may just be especially grumpy today.

But, if a Corps has 43 days of ST (yes, Cadets, I'm looking at you) they better come out the other end in solid, mid-season form, scoring in the mid 80s.  Otherwise, why waste all this time & money on 43 days of ST?

Was just asking because we have seen plenty of corps over the last 15 years use placeholder closers. Personally I will take that over a seven minute incomplete show. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

And the crazy thing is typically several Corps exit ST with incomplete shows.

I am tracking it this year & plan to name names when appropriate.

Boston will be complete. The planning of the show, for the first show is in place.  The staff is very efficient in teaching drill and planning the layering during the season. They have a community night scheduled for June 17 in Castleton.  They’ve been done each year for this event.  No reason to think they won’t be once again.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LabMaster said:

Boston will be complete. The planning of the show, for the first show is in place.  The staff is very efficient in teaching drill and planning the layering during the season. They have a community night scheduled for June 17 in Castleton.  They’ve been done each year for this event.  No reason to think they won’t be once again.

Good.

I will tentatively put them in the 'Nice' column.  

But, as Ronaldus Magnus said, 'Trust, but verify'.

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

What time did semis start last season?  Are there that many fewer Corps performing this season (SCV, SCVC, BDB, Louisiana Stars, perhaps other OC Corps?  I know Calgary isn't coming in 2023)?

I think prelims last year started around 9-9:30am? So removing those corps would probably have moved the start time to 11:45am for this season.  The DCI site show about 30-32 corps listed for prelims for 2023.  

Ticketmaster shows semis starting @1pm & finals @5:30pm which is the same as last year.  Of course, semis & finals are a smaller set number of corps competing.  The prelim numbers are based on the total number of open/world member corps competing.  Plus last season, there were two or three international groups that I don't see on the list?        

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 10:41 AM, LabMaster said:

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

And the crazy thing is typically several Corps exit ST with incomplete shows.

I am tracking it this year & plan to name names when appropriate.

I think the groups that perform at the premiere always have their closer or last movement on the field.  But they still add/change into the season.  The non-premiere groups are a different story. But with the later start of tour plus more spring training days, that might help them complete their shows? 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx