What Can/Can’t Be Changed to Help

1 minute ago, keystone3ply said:

I think the groups that perform at the premiere always have their closer or last movement on the field.  But they still add/change into the season.  The non-premiere groups are a different story. But with the later start of tour plus more spring training days, that may help them complete their shows? 

We managed to have 11&1/2+ min on the field by opening weekend in DCM, which was usually second weekend in June.  Was it clean? - No.  Did we add more stuff as the season went on? - Yes. 

I have no patience for incomplete shows in Marching Music's Major League. 

Plus, there are kids on the lawn that I need to go chase off...

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Worse? Oh holy hell, I would have flipped. 

They actually had to delay the show start time 30 minutes due to the folks lined up into two parking lots trying to enter.  Then they had a weather delay after one or two of the first groups performed.  I was watching my radar so I watched the first groups from the end zone & watched the events at the single gate entrance.  

They started with 3 or 4 scanners then added some more for a total of 7 scanning.  Only one gate entrance.  They're were HS students lined up from bus parking as well as car/fan parking.  I watched a couple of guys from Boston with thick accents scolding the ticket office. (It was pretty entertaining.)  

I also talked to a stadium security guy in a golf cart & he said he's never seen anything like this at the gate entrance.  He said they should have had the gate behind the press box open as well.  I told him DCI does this at every show so the fans walk thru the "marketplace".  But fans & students are going to the marketplace wherever it's located.

Crazy 😜   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

And the crazy thing is typically several Corps exit ST with incomplete shows.

I am tracking it this year & plan to name names when appropriate.

I get the frustration for sure but it seems pretty clear that many corps’ main priority, during ST, is increasingly less about learning the show and more about being prepared to handle the physical demands of the show, doing the building blocks of conditioning, strength- and movement training that they’ll need to have a successful, *healthy*, *low-injury*, endurance-friendly summer.

Conditioning is obviously not new but the approach to it in the activity has clearly changed. Risk of injury is a lot higher. Stamina is harder-won. The “30 seconds of drill per day” ST expectation just isn’t the game some corps are playing anymore. They’re in it for the long game. And if that means incomplete shows after ST, but fewer preventable injuries over the summer, so be it, IMO. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

A seven minute incomplete show should get an under-time penalty.

That seems easily avoidable by trivial means that meet the technical requirements, such as standing still and playing scales for 3 minutes.

8 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Conditioning is obviously not new but the approach to it in the activity has clearly changed. Risk of injury is a lot higher. Stamina is harder-won. The “30 seconds of drill per day” ST expectation just isn’t the game some corps are playing anymore. They’re in it for the long game. And if that means incomplete shows after ST, but fewer preventable injuries over the summer, so be it, IMO. 

A reason why BD is touring with 180 members this season -- 162 + more alternates than in the past?