Big, Loud, and Live 2023?

Does anyone remember at what date DCI announced the movie theater option last year?

I love the movie theater experience over the Flo experience and I am curious if there will

even be a Big, Loud, Live theater option this year as there was last year since the Tour Premier theater show 

is a no-go.

On YouTube Fathom Events advertised the past 2 BBL starting at the beginning of July. Sometimes you can check your local theaters schedule too and it will show up before the announcement. I checked and nothing showing up yet. 

• Thanks 1

That there is no tour premiere in the theaters this year is not a huge surprise. Attendance at many theaters was sparse pre-Covid and I recall posts on this site last year saying theaters were empty. I know the theater I attended only sold about 20 seats though to be fair, this theater is still new and it hasn’t caught on with the public. Some of it may have been due to people not returning to movie theaters. Regarding Big, Loud, and Live, I know fewer theaters offered the event, but I thought I heard attendance was good. I was in Indy so I don’t know how the local theater I attended fared.

For live broadcasts from the Metropolitan Opera, 80% of tickets sold at an average size theater is the break even point for the theater, 90% for smaller venues. It’s also expected that most people in attendance will buy refreshments which is how theaters make most of their money. I’m assuming it’s similar for DCI events. If that’s the case, if the drum corps crowd can’t fill the theater and does not buy refreshments, it’s not worth the while for the theater to offer the show.