DCA E Board votes to move 2024 and 2025 Championships to Indy at DCI Championships in August

DCA plans to move their championships to Saturday AM in Indy for 24 and 25.! Details to follow 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, fsthnds said:

DCA plans to move their championships to Saturday AM in Indy for 24 and 25.! Details to follow 

fsthnds -  I will be SHOCKED if such an announcement is made. It would be too costly for most of the corps and their fans. It would put DCA in competition that morning with Soundsport activities. It would require many to take off work Friday and would provide almost no practice time beforehand. But, who knows?  Lots of crazy things happening these days in America.

DCA had a chance to ‘dip its toes in new waters’ years ago at Winston-Salem. That site was much more accessible for many more of the corps, at a time when DCA featured significantly more competitors and spectators. DCA took a pass then, on a far less risky gamble than what you are announcing with Indy.

Unless, of course, DCA becomes Soundsport !

11 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

fsthnds -  I will be SHOCKED if such an announcement is made. It would be too costly for most of the corps and their fans. It would put DCA in competition that morning with Soundsport activities. It would require many to take off work Friday and would provide almost no practice time beforehand. But, who knows?  Lots of crazy things happening these days in America.

DCA had a chance to ‘dip its toes in new waters’ years ago at Winston-Salem. That site was much more accessible for many more of the corps, at a time when DCA featured significantly more competitors and spectators. DCA took a pass then, on a far less risky gamble than what you are announcing with Indy.

my thoughts on WS are known, and as stated before, the outer regions didn't have enough of a fanbase to draw enough to make up for the (then DCA) fan base that wouldn't travel. Labor Day has long been known as an issue that hurts recruiting, so if true it makes sense that way. who knows what SoundSport may do, but just looking at the Allentown lineup shows the two circuits are doing more together. 

if true, who knows how long til a formal announcement is made given the schedule still wasn't on the website last i looked.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

my thoughts on WS are known, and as stated before, the outer regions didn't have enough of a fanbase to draw enough to make up for the (then DCA) fan base that wouldn't travel. Labor Day has long been known as an issue that hurts recruiting, so if true it makes sense that way. who knows what SoundSport may do, but just looking at the Allentown lineup shows the two circuits are doing more together. 

if true, who knows how long til a formal announcement is made given the schedule still wasn't on the website last i looked.

Jeff, I agree labor day has become a recruiting issue. 2023 schedule is not affected and will be in Rochester. Planning for 24 and 25 is in the works.

From what I have heard, the DCA Mini and Alumni Corps will be welcomed to participate in Soundsport going forward and DCA championships will be a one day Finals only show on Saturday morning.

5 hours ago, fsthnds said:

Jeff, I agree labor day has become a recruiting issue. 2023 schedule is not affected and will be in Rochester. Planning for 24 and 25 is in the works.

From what I have heard, the DCA Mini and Alumni Corps will be welcomed to participate in Soundsport going forward and DCA championships will be a one day Finals only show on Saturday morning.

Labor Day has been a growing issue for years. I remember in 1999 driving kids from their football game to Allentown Friday night. the outer regions have cited it as a recruiting issue for a while....look who's no longer around. i mean sure if i go, the extra travel day was a plus, but i get it...the last few years in Rochester we didn't even leave til Saturday morning because of my wife's school schedule on friday

DCi week helps avoid college band camps, and in most places high school. honestly my worry is given the schedule that week...how many will get up early Saturday to watch the DCA corps?

and also...DCA is on Box 5.....is that a multi year deal? I can't imagine DCI wanting a different streaming partner setting up for one show on finals day

If this move turns out to be true, it's a "survival mode" step for DCA.

That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Heck... from what I understand, the attendance numbers at last year's DCA title show were pretty rough. 

Best wishes to my friends still involved there who are doing what they feel is best for their organizations. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

If this move turns out to be true, it's a "survival mode" step for DCA.

That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Heck... from what I understand, the attendance numbers at last year's DCA title show were pretty rough. 

Best wishes to my friends still involved there who are doing what they feel is best for their organizations. 

they never published numbers when it was good, but the last year in Williamsport you could get a close estimate on the ticket ordering site what was...and wasn't sold

When I first heard this my gut reaction was....not so good.  But let's face it.  DCA is struggling.  12 corps at last year's championship.  They did a great job but, with some exceptions, they were smaller and weaker, no disrespect meant to any of them.   The crowd was sparse.  Supposedly 1600 tickets sold but I don't believe there were that many people there.  As the corps' membership gets younger Labor Day weekend is becoming problematic.  College and high school obligations beckon.  A Saturday morning championship contest in Indianapolis is by no means ideal but they have to do something.  I'm skeptical but I say try it.  Maybe it will work out for the better.  

On 5/26/2023 at 12:05 PM, Fred Windish said:

You act like these weren’t already problems.  We already had to take off Friday (and some from further than NJ/NY/PA had to take off THURSDAY or even Wednesday to drive equipment across the states)  to get minimal rehearsal time. Heck most of those from outside the tristate had to take off days AND drive all day AND STILL didn’t get much, if any, rehearsal time.  

I ask you this, who funds DCA? Ticket sales? Or student tuition?  Because it’s not 30:year old musicians filling the ranks. It’s youth. Looking to get a few seasons in before auditioning for DCI. So you cater to who fills your ranks and their schedule. Or you carry on without change, and you fade away until it’s just Cabs and Bux live, with Govs and CV simulcast in for every show, every, stupid, weekend.  

it’s a last grasp attempt to keep the circuit alive, and to force some very necessary change into a circuit hesitant to do so.  The last few years DCA had DCI championship weekend off anyway.  While early morning shows are as enjoyable as running ones hand through a belt sander repeatedly, this could at least bring some Flo viewers, and potentially groups could get some new faces auditioning due to it.  Won’t know if it works until after the first year.  But if Rochester is less than half full this year, that city has run its course. Time to rethink. 

• Thanks 1