DCA E Board votes to move 2024 and 2025 Championships to Indy at DCI Championships in August

So I put together a comprehensive list of all the remaining DCA units that are listed for the season. Some have already gone inactive or switched over to Sound Sport for the season. The DCA website does not appear to have it updated completely and or accurately! Im sorry if I missed anyone or if the website was not updated.

I am listing the travel times from the home destinations of each of the DCA units to both Rochester and to Lucas oil provided to me by Google Maps. The travel times may vary a little bit depending on factors.

Reading Lucas Oil 9 hours Rochester 5 Hours

Cabs Lucas Oil 10 Hours Rochester 4 Hours

Bushwackers Lucas Oil 10 hours Rochester 5.5 Hours

White Sabers Lucas Oil 8 Hours Rochester 11 min

Hurricanes Lucas Oil 12 Hours Rochester 5.5

Roges Hollow Lucas Oil 5 hours Rochester 4Hr

Columbus Saints Lucas Oil 2.5 Hours Rochester 5.0 Hours

Fusion Core Lucas Oil 10 Hours Rochester 5 Hours

Govonairs Lucas Oil 9 Hours Rochester 15 Hours

Skyliners Lucas Oil 9 Hours Rochester 2:20

Sunrisers Lucas Oil 12 Hours Rochester 6.5 Hours

Atlanta CV Lucas Oil 8 Hours Rochester 14 Hours

Cincinnati Tradition Lucas Oil 2 Hours Rochester 7.5

You are asking for 5 more hours average on the road for MOST of these Units. 5 FREAKING HOURS. But you act like the world is ending because of 5 hours and its going to bankrupt your unit. I know members of units that travel more than 5 hours every weekend to get to their respective units for rehearsal burning gas and wear and tear on their vehicle just to get to rehearsal and yall act like its the end of the world. Geeze.

• Thanks 1

On 5/28/2023 at 11:47 PM, Jeff Ream said:

they never published numbers when it was good, but the last year in Williamsport you could get a close estimate on the ticket ordering site what was...and wasn't sold

I always had to search for numbers and do what you did. Look at the websites and try and do some figuring to try and come up with a number on ticket sales. Seems like they did not like bragging about 2,000 or so in paid attendance at finals . Go figure. 

1 hour ago, camel lips said:

I always had to search for numbers and do what you did. Look at the websites and try and do some figuring to try and come up with a number on ticket sales. Seems like they did not like bragging about 2,000 or so in paid attendance at finals . Go figure. 

if a stadium holds 4200, and you only fill 2000 seats, it looks awful and feels empty.  If a stadium holds 8,000 (on only one side... not counting end zones) and you only fill 2000 seats... it IS empty.   Wonder what Rochester will look like this year. 

Edited by C.Holland
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, C.Holland said:

if a stadium holds 4200, and you only fill 2000 seats, it looks awful and feels empty.  If a stadium holds 8,000 (on only one side... not counting end zones) and you only fill 2000 seats... it IS empty.   Wonder what Rochester will look like this year. 

Depends on how the DCI and DCA lords market it. I would think for both side to come out on top with this you would need to put some sort of bonus ticket where as you buy tickets for DCI   Prelims and finals nights and for X amount of dollars you get a DCA package as well. Then have a seperate tier package for those just wanting the DCA experience at a higher spiff. At least that is the way I would market the ticket prices. 

There will be plenty of fans at the oil can just looking for something to get into. Chances are of you give them something to do they will look you up. 

9 hours ago, camel lips said:

So I put together a comprehensive list of all the remaining DCA units that are listed for the season. Some have already gone inactive or switched over to Sound Sport for the season. The DCA website does not appear to have it updated completely and or accurately! Im sorry if I missed anyone or if the website was not updated.

I am listing the travel times from the home destinations of each of the DCA units to both Rochester and to Lucas oil provided to me by Google Maps. The travel times may vary a little bit depending on factors.

Reading Lucas Oil 9 hours Rochester 5 Hours

Cabs Lucas Oil 10 Hours Rochester 4 Hours

Bushwackers Lucas Oil 10 hours Rochester 5.5 Hours

White Sabers Lucas Oil 8 Hours Rochester 11 min

Hurricanes Lucas Oil 12 Hours Rochester 5.5

Roges Hollow Lucas Oil 5 hours Rochester 4Hr

Columbus Saints Lucas Oil 2.5 Hours Rochester 5.0 Hours

Fusion Core Lucas Oil 10 Hours Rochester 5 Hours

Govonairs Lucas Oil 9 Hours Rochester 15 Hours

Skyliners Lucas Oil 9 Hours Rochester 2:20

Sunrisers Lucas Oil 12 Hours Rochester 6.5 Hours

Atlanta CV Lucas Oil 8 Hours Rochester 14 Hours

Cincinnati Tradition Lucas Oil 2 Hours Rochester 7.5

You are asking for 5 more hours average on the road for MOST of these Units. 5 FREAKING HOURS. But you act like the world is ending because of 5 hours and its going to bankrupt your unit. I know members of units that travel more than 5 hours every weekend to get to their respective units for rehearsal burning gas and wear and tear on their vehicle just to get to rehearsal and yall act like its the end of the world. Geeze.

yup....and with holiday weekend traffic, those drives usually take longer than the times you listed

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

yup....and with holiday weekend traffic, those drives usually take longer than the times you listed

which affects only the Roch column, so narrows the difference between the two

For years, Minnesota Brass, Kilties, Govenaires, Heat Wave, Atlanta CV, Carolina Gold, Alliance, Renegades, SoCal Dream, etc., made the long trip to the DCA title show (long at least compared to the Northeast corps) and somehow managed to pull it off. 

It will now be up to the Northeast DCA corps to figure out how to do the same thing. 

• Like 4

Yes, I remain SHOCKED by this announcement.  This is the most significant step for DCA since its founding in 1964.  The challenges presented here are many and will be difficult to overcome.

Good Luck, and Best Wishes to ALL !

• Sad 1

It makes sense. DCA no longer serves working adults that used to make up the corps membership. They serve high school and college students. Of course, you must also accept the fact that DCA gave up the "brand recognition" when they began to serve those young folks. Show designs that lean toward the DCI side of the activity being just one aspect of the changes.

Ohio has three DCA member corps today. In my day, Ohio had zero DCA member corps. The only Ohio corps that had a chance of making the night show from 1980 to 1983 was Ohio Brass Factory, and they didn't get in. I was a member of that corps for four years. That was a lot of money spent in order to sit in the stands on finals night, every year. I wonder how the Alumni corps will handle this change of venue and date?

* I might add that this change doesn't impact me in any way. I'm busy working on my "Bucket List". 🙂

Edited by hairbear