DCA E Board votes to move 2024 and 2025 Championships to Indy at DCI Championships in August

My only wish is that DCA had gotten off the Labor Day “tradition” as it was hitting HS and college age members more and more. Then try championships a week earlier at the usual locations and see if that helped before this major change

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Keith Hall said:

Years ago when I suggested this, I was crazy or "It will never happen!" Well, look who was right. Maybe it will mean more All Age corps will start forming in the MidWest. Maybe Renegades will rise up again!

You and I both sir. I think it's  time to resurrect some of those threads from the way back machine to remind some folks 🙂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

Yes, I remain SHOCKED by this announcement.  This is the most significant step for DCA since its founding in 1964.  The challenges presented here are many and will be difficult to overcome.

Good Luck, and Best Wishes to ALL !

with proper planning not difficult at all. all those other corps made it for years.

and here's a cold fact...probably double if not more people will see those 4 corps at Allentown this August than will see them at finals.

7 hours ago, hairbear said:

It makes sense. DCA no longer serves working adults that used to make up the corps membership. They serve high school and college students. Of course, you must also accept the fact that DCA gave up the "brand recognition" when they began to serve those young folks. Show designs that lean toward the DCI side of the activity being just one aspect of the changes.

Ohio has three DCA member corps today. In my day, Ohio had zero DCA member corps. The only Ohio corps that had a chance of making the night show from 1980 to 1983 was Ohio Brass Factory, and they didn't get in. I was a member of that corps for four years. That was a lot of money spent in order to sit in the stands on finals night, every year. I wonder how the Alumni corps will handle this change of venue and date?

* I might add that this change doesn't impact me in any way. I'm busy working on my "Bucket List". 🙂

it'll impact the alumni corps, but really, they weren't drawing that many paying fans....rumors say possible even costing DCA money

Edited by Jeff Ream

On 5/31/2023 at 3:37 PM, hairbear said:

It makes sense. DCA no longer serves working adults that used to make up the corps membership. They serve high school and college students. Of course, you must also accept the fact that DCA gave up the "brand recognition" when they began to serve those young folks. Show designs that lean toward the DCI side of the activity being just one aspect of the changes.

Ohio has three DCA member corps today. In my day, Ohio had zero DCA member corps. The only Ohio corps that had a chance of making the night show from 1980 to 1983 was Ohio Brass Factory, and they didn't get in. I was a member of that corps for four years. That was a lot of money spent in order to sit in the stands on finals night, every year. I wonder how the Alumni corps will handle this change of venue and date?

* I might add that this change doesn't impact me in any way. I'm busy working on my "Bucket List". 🙂

Well said as always, Steve.

Like you said... for whatever reasons, the DCA corps over the years have given up the things that made the circuit unique, and a potential viable alternative to DCI (in terms of show design, overall personality-driven "fun" vibe, etc.), and have instead become a subset of DCI. 

Nothing really wrong with that, but heck... might as well make it official, like DCA has now done.

As I've said before.. best wishes to my DCA friends as they move forward into what is hopefully a good future for them. 

Edited by Fran Haring

As far as alumni corps goes... not the end of the world if there's no alumni show.

My apologies if this sounds flip or snarky... but perhaps the alumni folks can get used to something called "life after drum corps."  😂 Like many drum corps people have done. Myself included. Lots of other things to do. 

Or... shift the focus from "drum corps performances" to community-based stuff. Groups like the Hanover Lancers in PA and Florida Brass in FL do just that, and have been doing well. 

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

As far as alumni corps goes... not the end of the world if there's no alumni show.

My apologies if this sounds flip or snarky... but perhaps the alumni folks can get used to something called "life after drum corps."  😂 Like many drum corps people have done. Myself included. Lots of other things to do. 

Or... shift the focus from "drum corps performances" to community-based stuff. Groups like the Hanover Lancers in PA and Florida Brass in FL do just that, and have been doing well. 

Would like to know the performance schedule of the corps that appear. Is this “the gig” or the only gig they do for the year? See some SM comments this will kill the alumni type activity and I just don’t get it. 
Concert shows I get ads for have moved from corps only to include other types of music.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Would like to know the performance schedule of the corps that appear. Is this “the gig” or the only gig they do for the year? See some SM comments this will kill the alumni type activity and I just don’t get it. 
Concert shows I get ads for have moved from corps only to include other types of music.

Jim, I'm pretty much convinced that the "alumni corps only" and "drum corps-related only" models no longer work, in terms of drawing a decent amount of customers. 

Your old team (and Brenda's current team) seems to have figured this out over the years. Not perfect, but it works for them. 

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Jim, I'm pretty much convinced that the "alumni corps only" and "drum corps-related only" models no longer work, in terms of drawing a decent amount of customers. 

Your old team (and Brenda's current team) seems to have figured this out over the years. Not perfect, but it works for them. 

Keep forgetting about Brenda being involved. 👍 When I was in the members were asked for ideas for long term survival of the corps. Lot responses were to get away from almost all parade tunes. Also find music interesting and challenging for the members to play. 
And being from the 70s I was never a fan of the alumni corps with the mindset of so much volume they lose the tone. If people want to hear music then play musically