DCI Championship Week (either breaking news or trolling)

On the all-age forum, somebody posted that the "DCA E" Board (not sure what E means) has voted or is voting to move DCA Championships to Indy in 2024 and 25, to be held during the day on Saturday. If legit, how this would work with SoundSport and drum battle also held during the day on Saturday, albeit a few blocks away? Would this be Finals only, or would a prelims be held maybe Friday morning before DCI SemiFinals (would have to be completed so Semis could begin at 2 if the same DCI schedule is used, or held at another venue).

One tangent item from such a collaboration which may play into the early season schedule is possibly more regional performance opportunities for shows with eastern DCA corps and say, Jersey Surf, Spartans, 7th Regiment, Raiders, and if early season before the World Class corps head to San Antonio, maybe even Boston and Cadets (and/or Bluecoats since Canton is near PA). A show of 3-4 JR corps and 4-5 DCA corps in PA, NY, or NJ in late June or early July would probably draw very well.

If someone is just making things up, ha ha. If there is something to this, thoughts? This would really change the season outline for the all age groups (if legit).

Half the people on this forum were not yet born the last time one of the DCA core membership (i.e. Northeasterners) traveled that far for a contest.  Hard to believe this is true.

Of course, I had the same reaction to SCV running out of money... 

Edited by cixelsyd
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Half the people on this forum were not yet born the last time one of the DCA core membership (i.e. Northeasterners) traveled that far for a contest.  Hard to believe this is true.

Of course, I had the same reaction to SCV running out of money... 

actually a few did in 2006 to a show in Winston Salem. and since the forum skews older, i remember at least 2 going to Madison in 1999.

DCA needs to move off of Labor Day. it's killing recruiting. and given the number of corps, a prelims isn't needed.Plus now you're ssing the NE corps doing more and more with DCI at DCI shows....look at Allentown

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

actually a few did in 2006 to a show in Winston Salem. and since the forum skews older, i remember at least 2 going to Madison in 1999.

DCA needs to move off of Labor Day. it's killing recruiting. and given the number of corps, a prelims isn't needed.Plus now you're ssing the NE corps doing more and more with DCI at DCI shows....look at Allentown

1.  Indianapolis is farther from home than Winston-Salem for the three NE corps who went there (which was actually in 2005, not 2006).

2.  The two NE corps who went to Madison in 1999 are no longer with us.

3.  DCA can move off of Labor Day weekend whenever/wherever they want, if it is affecting recruiting.  Technically, they did move off Labor Day weekend in 2021.

I am generally in favor of DCI and DCA increasing cooperation and joint events.  However, the idea posited in this thread is not a good one.  Ask open-class what kind of marketing, logistics and audience you can expect when you are at best the fourth-favorite event of the week.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

1.  Indianapolis is farther from home than Winston-Salem for the three NE corps who went there (which was actually in 2005, not 2006).

3.  DCA can move off of Labor Day weekend whenever/wherever they want, if it is affecting recruiting.  Technically, they did move off Labor Day weekend in 2021.

I am generally in favor of DCI and DCA increasing cooperation and joint events.  However, the idea posited in this thread is not a good one.  Ask open-class what kind of marketing, logistics and audience you can expect when you are at best the fourth-favorite event of the week.

Funny, I just had this conversation with someone today. We all agreed with this part of this and your example of OC

15 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

thatnks...i was in WS, forgot the year. but DCA needs to do something, cause what was done wasn't working. and it is hurting recruiting....3 corps no longer participating said it out loud, no one wanted to listen. 2 went Soundsport, one tried to go Open Class but never came out. 

and from what I heard, this isn't a merger, it's just combining events. in the east band camps start the following week for HS and college, and Labor Day weekend is loaded with football at both levels, sucking kids away. Band directors these days want/need their kids there, not elsewhere.and since OC is held in a different town, yeah it gets less attention.

i'm curious about the streaming deals since both circuits aren't on Flo

Its happening, Anyone who wants a last glimpse of corps in Rochester 2023 maybe your last chance. 

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCA needs to do something, cause what was done wasn't working. and it is hurting recruiting....3 corps no longer participating said it out loud, no one wanted to listen. 2 went Soundsport, one tried to go Open Class but never came out. 

Those were corps from outside the Northeast.  That alone is one reason they were not listened to.  Another, to be fair, is that they already had this issue before they even started coming to DCA in quantity 20 years ago, and it did not stop them then.

and from what I heard, this isn't a merger, it's just combining events. in the east band camps start the following week for HS and college, and Labor Day weekend is loaded with football at both levels, sucking kids away. Band directors these days want/need their kids there, not elsewhere.

If the Labor Day schedule is now becoming a problem even for Northeastern corps, then holding the championship earlier might be a good idea.  Moving it to Indianapolis and shoehorning it in with the DCI events is not necessary on that account.  DCA could still choose a location that best serves their corps and audience.  

and since OC is held in a different town, yeah it gets less attention.

Depends on the town, and the event format.  Most open-class corps performed to far bigger audiences in Michigan City than in Indianapolis.

Well I said at the end of last season that DCI needed to absorb DCA so DCA can live. If I remember correctly people said DCA was struggling financially and most DCA groups already do DCI shows. While people only care about local think about all the other groups that don't compete because they aren't going to a non central location. Who drives farther than MBI and Govies? Now you have an option for every group to drive similar distances and possibly start groups in areas that are hot with marching bands. This would be the first time I'd even think of watching DCA now. 

• Like 2