DCI Championship Week (either breaking news or trolling)

On 5/27/2023 at 10:59 PM, Jeff Ream said:

given the number of corps, a prelims isn't needed.

I'll beat the same drum I do for OC - a prelims gives an extra performance opportunity, and makes the trip more attractive to corps.  Especially if you're asking the NE corps to make a longer commute to Indy, you need to put *some* sort of carrot out there. 

Personally as a whole, I think this is a brilliant idea.  From a consumer standpoint, it makes the Indy week the focus of the summer marching world, and this will expose many, many more eyeballs to DCA than they've had.  (Yes, even on a Saturday morning.)  They also become part of the DCI promotions and advertising to younger fans, raising awareness.  

It will require some (overdue) restructuring from senior corps, starting of course with the calendar, then backtracking on everything from there.  I can already foresee a much of the increased travel costs coming down on the members, too, until the corps find an equilibrium in the season where the more regional contests help fund the "big trip."  And that may swirl up the competition schedule a bit.  Or not - I could also see this having a WGI-like effect where some groups perform in only a handful of contests before going out to Nationals.

I applaud DCA for coming in on this, even if they're a little late to the party.  

Mike

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, MikeN said:

I'll beat the same drum I do for OC - a prelims gives an extra performance opportunity, and makes the trip more attractive to corps.  Especially if you're asking the NE corps to make a longer commute to Indy, you need to put *some* sort of carrot out there. 

Personally as a whole, I think this is a brilliant idea.  From a consumer standpoint, it makes the Indy week the focus of the summer marching world, and this will expose many, many more eyeballs to DCA than they've had.  (Yes, even on a Saturday morning.)  They also become part of the DCI promotions and advertising to younger fans, raising awareness.  

It will require some (overdue) restructuring from senior corps, starting of course with the calendar, then backtracking on everything from there.  I can already foresee a much of the increased travel costs coming down on the members, too, until the corps find an equilibrium in the season where the more regional contests help fund the "big trip."  And that may swirl up the competition schedule a bit.  Or not - I could also see this having a WGI-like effect where some groups perform in only a handful of contests before going out to Nationals.

I applaud DCA for coming in on this, even if they're a little late to the party.  

Mike

Thinking on the should there be Prelims point. That would mean corps and members would have to get to Indy a day earlier which would affect people’s work schedule a bit more. (6 of 1, half dozen of the other 🤷🏻)

Also question on hotels. Difference between booking rooms for the entire DCI week or just 2 days or so. Thinking of deals on rates and availability for the shorter stay.

LOL keep thinking I joined a “Senior “ corps when I was 16. (They needed the warm bodies)

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thinking on the should there be Prelims point. That would mean corps and members would have to get to Indy a day earlier which would affect people’s work schedule a bit more. (6 of 1, half dozen of the other 🤷🏻)

Also question on hotels. Difference between booking rooms for the entire DCI week or just 2 days or so. Thinking of deals on rates and availability for the shorter stay.

LOL keep thinking I joined a “Senior “ corps when I was 16. (They needed the warm bodies)

That's fair too - adult corps have issues to think about that youth groups don't.

Mike

19 minutes ago, MikeN said:

That's fair too - adult corps have issues to think about that youth groups don't.

Mike

there's so few adults in DCA that this is near a moot point. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

Mike

Well DCA corps have the added problem of dealing with both age groups and their needs

Looks like several pros and cons, particularly wrt logistics but I'm with Mike. This is a good thing for the activity as a whole. 

Two worries.

1. My favorite meal of the week is the early Saturday dinner before Finals with friends. 

2. After the chaos of loading Lucas before Saturday Finals last year, I hope the Oil Can staff can efficiently remove the DCA audience before loading the DCI audience.

5 hours ago, Tony Flores said:

Coincidentally, Eleven Park...a Soccer Specific Stadium broke ground today and opening in 2025, just south of Victory Field:

https://www.wishtv.com/news/local-news/indy-elevens-new-park-set-to-break-ground-wednesday/

SSS stadium owners are generally notoriously picky about field conditions.  It was sort of a 'gasp' when DC United made arrangements for the XFL team to play in Audi Field and a lot of consternation about the state of the field during the short overlap.  Yard lines are also considered a nuisance by soccer fans.  But they were able to use some sort of weird paint that fades fast or some such for the XFL games and they were minimal for the soccer games I recall.  Last game for the XFL was done and the ENTIRE field was resodded.   

Heavy props are not kind to keeping the field without weird dents and bumps and particularly during the season (and if it's been rainy at all) stadia will protect their fields for soccer.  We saw this with the West Chester show where DCI fans loved Philly's stadium but the stadium ultimately got snippy over the state the field was left in for the Union.

That said, Indy Eleven isn't MLS.  I haven't read if they're going grass or FieldTurf.  They teamed with IUPUI's field for FieldTurf where they play now.

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 1