DCI Championship Week (either breaking news or trolling)

15 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

Well...that DCI feature on the DCA groups when Pepe Nataro was still alive didn't do DCA any favors.

I agree. A complete hatchet job, all dressed up as a nice info feature. 

4 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I agree. A complete hatchet job, all dressed up as a nice info feature. 

It also doesn't help when show organizers on the Jr side treat the Srs like we have the plague. 

It doesn't matter if your Sr corps has members with multiple DCI rings...once you enter that world, you're a has-been.

Bloody hell...at SoCal Dream's first show in 2006, they didn't even read off our score until AFTER the Jr scores were read, and only THEN, not until after I'd called out loudly and repeatedly for our score to be read -- finally had to go directly to the GE box and demand it from the announcer....anyone who was there probably remembers it, and I am NOT apologetic about it in the least.

For &$#@'s sake, we were there!   We did the show!  We had people in the stands!

I got it when Nightfire 96 didn't get one...we were in exhibition only and weren't going to get a score in the first place.  But a corps in it's 4th year -- it's third in scored competition -- should not have to DEMAND their score be read...NO corps should have to do that, even if they WERE the only unit in their division that night.

I never got called on the carpet for it by the staff...they might've felt the same way, but stepped back while me and my mouth let loose/

Of course....i ALSO won the pool that night re our score!

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

Well...that DCI feature on the DCA groups when Pepe Nataro was still alive didn't do DCA any favors.

true...but that was 1988. DCA and DCI had several interactions together at some shows since then, including some performances at DCI Regionals. DCA even had Rondo come in for the 50th anniversary and DCI gave DCA some love over the summer

I remember some DCM shows, back in the '80s, where members of senior/all age corps were standing behind their cars, trunks open, 1970s drum corps shows blasting away inside their vehicles, and drinking beer while putting on their uniforms. It was like a tailgating event before they went to warm ups. Times have changed since then; but the memories remain.  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, corps8294 said:

I remember some DCM shows, back in the '80s, where members of senior/all age corps were standing behind their cars, trunks open, 1970s drum corps shows blasting away inside their vehicles, and drinking beer while putting on their uniforms. It was like a tailgating event before they went to warm ups. Times have changed since then; but the memories remain.  

I recall hanging out with a certain Sr Corps at DCM shows & they would share their beer with us. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I recall hanging out with a certain Sr Corps at DCM shows & they would share their beer with us. 

Definition of being your own worst enemy. Have seen that in parking lot of alumni type concerts and 🤦‍♂️. Think there was a site lost because of that.

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

To be fair - some of us were of legal age in the state where this occurred.  

It was just the mental image of Senior members drinking in the parking lot as people go by. “Hey nice show”, “Thanks BURP!!”.

Heard too many before my time stories of horn in one hand and beer in the other. And keeping beer coolers on front sideline for a quick one at practice. 🤦‍♂️