SoundSport protection training question

Have been told through social media that any group that wants to participate in SoundSport has to go through training. Told by some (not fond of this) that it’s “nothing more than a video” another way for DCI to get money. Having had annual training (for freaking decades) on sexual harassment, sexual abuse and other sickening subjects interested in DCI policies and procedures.

For now:

What is covered with the SoundSport training? What to do if you’re a victim? How to spot possible abuse? How to report and/or stop it?

Is the training geared to protecting minors only or potential victims of any age?

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Well it's probably safesport training which is a 2 year certification. It's their way of knowing you did the specific classes and it's not done by DCI but a third-party. 

It's for sexual assault, harassment, and bullying and how to manage the cases. It is required by WGI for every staff member to take the training and submit the certificate of completion. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Well it's probably safesport training which is a 2 year certification. It's their way of knowing you did the specific classes and it's not done by DCI but a third-party. 

It's for sexual assault, harassment, and bullying and how to manage the cases. It is required by WGI for every staff member to take the training and submit the certificate of completion. 

Ok, what I was told is everyone who will participate in SS has to do the training. So no idea if staff and member training is different.

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ok, what I was told is everyone who will participate in SS has to do the training. So no idea if staff and member training is different.

It's recommended that anyone that's over 18 to do it because it touches on situation of age and minors. The only mandatory is staff members but I know some groups that minimum make their member leadership do it. 

• Thanks 1

I have to go through it for USA Fencing since I'm often event staff in the armory for regional and national events.  The raining is a collection of video modules with a test at the end of each.  Takes about 90 minutes, as I recall.

9 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

It is also required by WGI  of any performers over 17 and all volunteers of competing units and WGI championship volunteers