Interesting quirk to Championship weekend

Maybe this has happened before and I forgot, but the same weekend as Finals, NASCAR and Indy Car are both racing at the speedway, with the Indy Car race Saturday afternoon and NASCAR on Sunday, both on the road course.

Back in the day, the Brickyard 400 would get crowds rivaling the Indy 500 until people figured out stock cars aren't a good fit for that oval.

Anyway, it goes to show how things change. From 1994 until early 2000s hotel rooms would have been booked for the race, now DCI is a larger out of town draw. I'd guess most spectators at the race are within a 6 hour drive.

"The 2016 race saw fewer than 50,000 people in attendance, leaving nearly 200,000 empty seats."   I don't follow nascar that closely anymore, but reading that surprised me quite a bit.  Though even a small crowd there could be a drain on hotel rooms.

Edited by totaleefree

37 minutes ago, totaleefree said:

The 2016 race saw fewer than 50,000 people in attendance, leaving nearly 200,000 empty seats.   I don't follow nascar that closely anymore, but reading that surprised me quite a bit.  Though even a small crowd there could be a drain on hotel rooms.

Even without other events, hotel rooms book fast. I usually book my hotel room as soon as possible which is usually shortly after Labor Day. I stay at the Fairfield which is a ten minute walk from LOS. In September it is about $225 a night, by January it’s about $300, by February it’s sold out.  I just checked the Marriott website. If I were to go to Indy today, it would be $135 for the night. I’m assuming there are blocks rented. I always seem to meet Crossmen parents and on Saturday and Sunday morning folks associated with Avon High School.

Edited by Tim K

My one quirk with the corps I was working with last year was that after finals there is no housing for the corps so at 11pm they are set loose to find a hotel, go with their parent or make their way to the airport.  Most of them were there in the morning for the banquet, but I have no idea where they spent the night.

There has also been a huge motorcycle gathering during the finals weekend in the past.  I know because they use to ride Washington St into Sunday morning thru the downtown hotels.  And it's a loud party!  Of course after taking a dose of Ambien, I really don't care...  🛵 😁   

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1