Houston, Do we have a problem?

4 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

I'm actually doing both Denton and Mesquite.  Four shows in five days and all with at least a half dozen finalists from 2023.  Fly in and out of DFW to boot.  Makes for a lot of driving.  However, a great opportunity to see many shows.

The Denton show is my favorite of the three. Always the best lineup and if you're an early bird like me, you can park right at the gate.

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

So this leaves The Show Formerly Known as Annapolis flapping in the wind….

There are many still flapping in the wind.  Actually four are still marked as "TBD" and a dozen as "Coming Soon"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crownisking said:

The Denton show is my favorite of the three. Always the best lineup and if you're an early bird like me, you can park right at the gate.

I enjoyed Denton the last time I was there "Pre-Covid" during all the construction on the roads.  I got a place close to the stadium this year and will be able to walk to the stadium. Suite ticket makes it all the better this time around.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crownisking said:

For sure, Houston is densely populated enough to pack the stadium no matter where it is. I just for the life of me can't figure out why Houston only gets one show. Then again, if it's this difficult to find a venue maybe that's a big part of why.

Lately it seems Houston and surrounding areas of Houston have been less willing to support the musical arts.  Independent indoor drumlines and winterguards struggle to find practice gyms/locations and entire Districts are becoming harder and harder to work with (yeah looking at you Katy ISD).  This was even more evident during this past seasons WGI event where greed forced the regional from the Merrill Center to 7 lakes.  So I can see where the struggles are with securing not just stadiums but also housing locations for the corps.  Combine that with record budget shortfalls in some of the biggest districts Cy Fair ISD and others and you get a perfect storm of issues.  Hope the tide changes soon but just not seeing it for the next couple years.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, spacewill said:

Lately it seems Houston and surrounding areas of Houston have been less willing to support the musical arts.  Independent indoor drumlines and winterguards struggle to find practice gyms/locations and entire Districts are becoming harder and harder to work with (yeah looking at you Katy ISD).  This was even more evident during this past seasons WGI event where greed forced the regional from the Merrill Center to 7 lakes.  So I can see where the struggles are with securing not just stadiums but also housing locations for the corps.  Combine that with record budget shortfalls in some of the biggest districts Cy Fair ISD and others and you get a perfect storm of issues.  Hope the tide changes soon but just not seeing it for the next couple years.

That's disheartening to hear and very un Texas-like. We love the marching arts in Texas. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Yeah, I can see that. I do remember watching the Tomball show on Flo and listening for @Hook'emCavies to yell out SPLOOIE. Needless to say, he didn't disappoint. I lived for a couple of years in that NW quadrant of Houston and drove frequently up to Austin on business so it didn't seem like that long of a trek for me. There's certainly enough bodies in that area to support a show. I think the Houston show was even in Katy for a time. 

After now seeing that the show is in Prarie View....... I probably won't be at a show this season. 

DCI needs to change the title. That clearly isn't Houston. 

I'm actually hurting inside.... honesty, I would rather spend the money to go to SA. It would cost me a bit more in gas, but I'll be able to see every corps and I could stay at a friend's place for housing. 

I can't believe I won't be at a Houston show..... 

Edited by Hook'emCavies
  • Sad 5

It’s 30 additional driving minutes from CFISD’s Berry Center.  
It’s 30 additional driving minutes from Tomball’s stadium (per MapQuest). 

PVAMU is just off US 290, plus there’s been a large, enthusiastic group of PVAMU Marching Storm members at the Houston show for MANY years.

Is it further?  Yes it is.  Is it ideal?  No; but I’m willing for my “drum corps fix.”

1 hour ago, Hook'emCavies said:

After now seeing that the show is in Prarie View....... I probably won't be at a show this season. 

DCI needs to change the title. That clearly isn't Houston. 

I'm actually hurting inside.... honesty, I would rather spend the money to go to SA. It would cost me a bit more in gas, but I'll be able to see every corps and I could stay at a friend's place for housing. 

I can't believe I won't be at a Houston show..... 

This is a great  site for the Houston Area show.  I was at Tomball last year and there had to be close  to 100 school buses there. School band members will attend regardless of where the show is located.  The majority of DCI fans have to travel over an hour to two hours to attend a show.  Houston area and Dallas area fans are spoiled. How can you call yourself a fan of a particular corps  if you won't travel a short distance to support them. I am traveling 1200 miles to get to Prairie View.    One of the ideas being talked about for the 2025 tour is that only half of the DCI corps will make the Texas tour.  DCI can make the same amount of money with fewer corps in attendance and not have to deal with heat issues, housing issues and show location issues. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2024 at 8:37 PM, dcifanforlife said:

This is a great  site for the Houston Area show.  I was at Tomball last year and there had to be close  to 100 school buses there. School band members will attend regardless of where the show is located.  The majority of DCI fans have to travel over an hour to two hours to attend a show.  Houston area and Dallas area fans are spoiled. How can you call yourself a fan of a particular corps  if you won't travel a short distance to support them. I am traveling 1200 miles to get to Prairie View.    One of the ideas being talked about for the 2025 tour is that only half of the DCI corps will make the Texas tour.  DCI can make the same amount of money with fewer corps in attendance and not have to deal with heat issues, housing issues and show location issues. 

Because I don't have the money? It's called inflation. Unfortunately I have the budget for something like north Houston (I don't live in Houston anymore as I own land in a different area of east Texas). I am not in the mood to argue over being a fan. Money is the true issue. I'm glad you have the funds bud.

Edited by Hook'emCavies
  • Like 6