How Are Drum Corps Leaders Compensated?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hook'emCavies said:

This is why I prefer living in Texas vs CA. 

I have family that live in CA and the prices are just nuts!

I have certainly given it alot of thought about moving out of California, particularly to a state that doesn't tax my military retirement. 

Edited by Chief Guns
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Edited by Chief Guns

4 hours ago, supersop said:

I assume USBands did very very well this past year.  They deserve it.

As the leader of the entire org, this type of pay isn't crazy. 
I'd imagine a retention bonus / performance bonus or back-pay is not out of the question. 

Hop used to pay himself over 150K+ per year to run Cadets ,C2, CWP, CWG, USBands and the dance studio program.  That's in Allentown (not silicon valley), with no bingo money, international performance groups, nor groups hired for pay for events outside of Drum Corps.

Mr. Gibbs has been in the business of running BDPA for a very long time.  I'm sure plenty of money slides out of his own pocket when needed.
Thankfully, his tax return isn't required by law to be posted publicly.  IOW, move along and mind y'alls own business.

USBands has rebounded and grown very nicely. in talking to several directors here they cant believe it's the same organization in all of the good ways

9 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

I have certainly given it alot of thought about moving out of California, particularly to a state that doesn't tax my military retirement. 

• Eight states—Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming—have no state income tax. New Hampshire taxes only dividends and interest income.
  • Twenty-six states have state income taxes, but they don't tax military retirement benefits: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.
  • Eleven states tax military retirement benefits, but only partially. These states include Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Kentucky, Maryland, New Mexico, Oregon, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia. The District of Columbia also taxes military benefits partially.
  • Five states tax military retirement pay fully and offer little to no tax benefits for retirement income: California, Montana, Rhode Island, Utah, and Vermont.
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Sometimes it ends up even because they get you in other ways.  Thinking of moving to Ohio in a few years.  I dread another move and winter still sucks but the insurance is really expensive here.  All of them.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

PA doesn’t tax retirement either, military or civilian. That 3% Helps with the retirement check (well direct deposit) every month.

edit: PA does get you on interest and dividends just not what’s in ye olde 1099-R

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Sometimes it ends up even because they get you in other ways.  Thinking of moving to Ohio in a few years.  I dread another move and winter still sucks but the insurance is really expensive here.  All of them.  

You are right. They will get you in other ways. 

Edited by Chief Guns
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

This is why I prefer living in Texas vs CA. 

I have family that live in CA and the prices are just nuts!

Worse run state in the country.