Some DCP Thoughts Before The Season Kicks off

20 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

Well Folks, in less than a weeks time the start of the drum corps competitive season will be kicking off. During the off-season I have been thinking about the following items quite a bit. The main thought that has been reoccurring is I really hope people will be a little nicer to each other on DCP and all the various drum corps inter-webs this season.

So some of my thoughts and wishes going in to a new season are as follows.....Please feel free to add your own items.....

Haters - Ok I listed this first because isn't it time to put this one to bed?  This 'Label' is way over used and misused. We all enjoy the activity of drum corps in our own way and I find it really hard to believe that people truly 'Hate'.  Maybe one or two people here or there but they are far and few between and certainty don't represent the majority of fans.  My Grandmother always cautioned me on the usage of the word hate because of how strong a word it is. Labeling people is never good. Everyone is an individual; treat them as such. 

Sportsmanship - All we have to do as fans is watch how the performers behave. Sure there might be an exception here or there but most marching members know how to act not only when something doesn't go their way but just as important they know how to act when things go their way. I love the fun poking and banter we have here on DCP and I wouldn't want to squash that one bit BUT please know when maybe you are going to far. Lose graciously AND win graciously.

Put Yourself in 'Their Shoes' -  So if you disagree with someone, always try to put yourself in their shoes. Engage. Don't immediately attack or flame someone because just because they say something critical about something you believe in.  Think for a moment as to maybe Why are the saying what they are saying. Ask them "wow we totally disagree I am curious why do you feel that way?"  Engage don't attack.

It's Not What you Say It's the Way You Say It - Sorry but this one has been in my DNA from day one because my parents always reminded me of this. Snarky and sarcastic...yeah it's annoying and also overused.

JUST HAVE FUN - Bottom line =  it's all about having fun, being respectful and enjoying what is surely going to be a great Drum Corps season!   

Safe Travels & Best Wishes to all for an incredible 2024 Drum Corps Season!!

Amen!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Triple Forte said:

All we have to do as fans is watch how the performers behave.

This right here sums it up for me. This activity is about the MMs. They sweat, ache, bleed, cry, fight, and push to deliver the greatest performances of their young lives. If, as a fan, I can watch every performance from EVERY CORPS with an immense appreciation for the sacrifice that has gone into it, then how can I possibly allow my commentary on the activity to devolve into negativity, sarcasm, or complaints?

It comes down to attitude. If I want to find something to nit-pick and criticize, then my selfish mind will take me there. BUT, if my attitude is one of appreciation and gratitude for the gift that these members have given to all of us, then all of the other noise falls to the side much easier. 

The competitive nature of the activity makes it fun and adds an interesting component to the tour, but for me that is secondary. I cry like a baby every time I watch the Colts from last season. Competitively, they had a great season for their organization. They didn't take home any captions, but I won't remember them for that anyways. They gave me a profound gift last year that transcends score sheets, opinions on amplification, form vs. dot marching, governance issues, and all of the other host of topics that only distract and divide an activity that is supposed to bring us all together in awe of the talent and artistry on the field. 

Edited by MarkHornGA
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

Well Folks, in less than a weeks time the start of the drum corps competitive season will be kicking off. During the off-season I have been thinking about the following items quite a bit. The main thought that has been reoccurring is I really hope people will be a little nicer to each other on DCP and all the various drum corps inter-webs this season.

So some of my thoughts and wishes going in to a new season are as follows.....Please feel free to add your own items.....

Haters - Ok I listed this first because isn't it time to put this one to bed?  This 'Label' is way over used and misused. We all enjoy the activity of drum corps in our own way and I find it really hard to believe that people truly 'Hate'.  Maybe one or two people here or there but they are far and few between and certainty don't represent the majority of fans.  My Grandmother always cautioned me on the usage of the word hate because of how strong a word it is. Labeling people is never good. Everyone is an individual; treat them as such. 

Sportsmanship - All we have to do as fans is watch how the performers behave. Sure there might be an exception here or there but most marching members know how to act not only when something doesn't go their way but just as important they know how to act when things go their way. I love the fun poking and banter we have here on DCP and I wouldn't want to squash that one bit BUT please know when maybe you are going to far. Lose graciously AND win graciously.

Put Yourself in 'Their Shoes' -  So if you disagree with someone, always try to put yourself in their shoes. Engage. Don't immediately attack or flame someone because just because they say something critical about something you believe in.  Think for a moment as to maybe Why are the saying what they are saying. Ask them "wow we totally disagree I am curious why do you feel that way?"  Engage don't attack.

It's Not What you Say It's the Way You Say It - Sorry but this one has been in my DNA from day one because my parents always reminded me of this. Snarky and sarcastic...yeah it's annoying and also overused.

JUST HAVE FUN - Bottom line =  it's all about having fun, being respectful and enjoying what is surely going to be a great Drum Corps season!   

Safe Travels & Best Wishes to all for an incredible 2024 Drum Corps Season!!

Another mantra from childhood: If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say it at all. 

• Like 8

whoever scores highest wins

Does this mean I am not a hater?

• Haha 4

I hope more corps will be wearing uniforms this year.  I just miss the pagentry that they ad for me.

Anyone else?

• Like 1

On 6/21/2024 at 4:55 PM, TOC said:

Wrong thread JR.

nope. just my statement on all things great and beautiful.