Paying Tribute to Jim Ott

When I was in Guardsmen, we were in the Atlanta show in 1978.  We had a little time before warmups so I walked across the lot because I wanted to see a legend at work. He lived up to his reputation.  You could tell that he loved what he was doing.  I was way too starstruck to ever approach him.  A bunch of us did buy Spirit shirts and wore them much to the consternation of some of our staff.  Oh well get over it hahaha. We were a SOA administration society. 

it’s still so tragic. Taken at 30 years old.  We’ll never know where he could have gone. I met his dad Pops and Bonnie years later. Very nice folks. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

When I was in Guardsmen, we were in the Atlanta show in 1978.  We had a little time before warmups so I walked across the lot because I wanted to see a legend at work. He lived up to his reputation.  You could tell that he loved what he was doing.  I was way too starstruck to ever approach him.  A bunch of us did buy Spirit shirts and wore them much to the consternation of some of our staff.  Oh well get over it hahaha. We were a SOA administration society. 

it’s still so tragic. Taken at 30 years old.  We’ll never know where he could have gone. I met his dad Pops and Bonnie years later. Very nice folks. 

In 2008, San Francisco Renegades put out a call to anybody in Rochester for DCA to do their honor guard. I'd never done that before, so I volunteered and ended up on the field for Prelims and Finals. That was the year that Bonnie Ott Thompson joined the Renegades as a mellophone soloist and played Buddy Rich's Space Shuttle. Her brother Jim arranged Space Shuttle for Blue Devils in 1975, which made this doubly appropriate.

Bonnie also played with JOBE in 2015 and reprised her Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor solo during that performance.

53844679197_d59c4db9fe_o_d.png

• Like 6

Tid-bit:

Jim absolutely loved listening to "Senior Corps" recordings and greatly admired arrangers like Crawford, Sasso and Dreitzer. You can hear their influence in his style and approach.

• Like 1