FloMarching Current Ranking?

Has anyone else noticed that FloMarching frequently has a "Current Ranking" 

as part of the corps history graphics. Does anyone know how they are arriving

at these rankings? They are not last year's finals placements.

I saw a "2nd place" ranking for a corps that hasn't tasted anything

near that in decades.

Average of last three scores

• Like 1

It's the dumbest thing ever. I don't get the point of it. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Vuitton said:

Multiple sites track these scores from week 1, but we all know they don't really mean anything until San Antonio and beyond.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Vuitton said:

Everything is made up and the points don't matter...

But it really isn't "dumb".  Non-final rankings exist everywhere.  After the first graded assignment, students have a rank.  It doesn't indicate much in the way of finality, but it isn't dumb.  DCI has a logical methodology to their formula that makes increasing sense over time and exposure.  For example, BAC has the highest score to date of any corps (by a significant margin).  But they are not ranked 1st.

What seems most "dumb" to me is that the scores inflate at a completely arbitrary rate... as if to say that a 75 at finals is the same content, achievement and quality as a 75 at the season premiere... absurd.

As I said, everything is made up and the points don't matter, but the DCI running rank isn't without basis as the number of shows increase.

• Like 1

Don't know if anybody enjoys these video rants... but here is another on the topic of ranking:

Enjoy!    or not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

Everything is made up and the points don't matter...

But it really isn't "dumb".  Non-final rankings exist everywhere.  After the first graded assignment, students have a rank.  It doesn't indicate much in the way of finality, but it isn't dumb.  DCI has a logical methodology to their formula that makes increasing sense over time and exposure.  For example, BAC has the highest score to date of any corps (by a significant margin).  But they are not ranked 1st.

What seems most "dumb" to me is that the scores inflate at a completely arbitrary rate... as if to say that a 75 at finals is the same content, achievement and quality as a 75 at the season premiere... absurd.

As I said, everything is made up and the points don't matter, but the DCI running rank isn't without basis as the number of shows increase.

It's just unnecessary. When they showed Phantom's current ranking as No. 2, I was like WTF? We all know that isn't true. 

Yes, I said in another thread that BD at their permier would probably beat some corps who made finals.

7 minutes ago, Vuitton said:

It's just unnecessary. When they showed Phantom's current ranking as No. 2, I was like WTF? We all know that isn't true. 

Yes, I said in another thread that BD at their permier would probably beat some corps who made finals.

Does it matter if it's unnecessary?

By this logic, the entirety of ESPN is unnecessary (perhaps it technically is).  DCI is just providing a true statistical analysis on real data.  If it is 'untrue' it's only because the manner by which corps scores are artificially inflated over time is untrue.  So the dissatisfaction regarding the averaging of 3 shows to create a current ranking seems to be misplaced.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 2

In all honesty, who cares? If you like it, pay attention to it. If you don’t, ignore it. Rankings are just statistics that display a corps’ average score over their last three shows. There’s no other reasoning behind it, so there’s no reason to get upset about it. All is well everyone!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1